3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just swapped my naturally aspirated 3.8 to a supercharged 3.8 now issue I'm having is wiring I got the supercharged motor out of a 2001 grand prix gtp and computer as well and found the wiring won't work so I bought a 04 impala supercharged car and figured I could use the wiring out of that but issue I'm having is the main plug that runs into the firewall on the impala is way to big for my car and it's only one plug my car has 3 plugs please help any adive would be greatly appreciated thanks

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
Ouch, the run-on sentence. o_O

You won't need much more than the MAP and injector wiring to change, if you're swapping into an L36 Monte Carlo (the boost bypass valve can be eliminated in the tune, since it's just traction control/torque management).

Here is a friend's 2002 Monte Carlo SS that I converted to supercharged with its original harness back in April '09:
(you can use a smaller MAP sensor from L32 Series 3 supercharged 3800's to keep that same connector... picture link)

- Dave

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
You can keep the same computer in the car, but it will need to be tuned with the proper fuel and timing settings for the supercharged setup. The transmission settings for your non-supercharged car are different, too, so that will be preserved by adjusting the settings on it.

If you were told this wasn't a part of the swap, that was wrong. The 2000+ Chevy's are especially particular to having things just right for their computers (even needing the radio fuse pulled for a bit during programming, since they communicate on the same serial circuit & confuse some tuning traffic).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh OK so I can't use the grandprix one at all than RIGHT? SORRY just want to make 100 percent sure on things before I do any more if I had of known it was going to be so much work I would have just put a regular 3.8 back in lol

·
Super Moderator
358 Posts
It's just a matter of having a computer programmed for the specific changes to run the new setup. You can order exactly what you need from ZZP to have it going for a couple hundred bucks, unless you want to get into tuning it yourself, or have someone experienced in tuning these cars in your region.

https://zzperformance.com/collections/3800/products/zzp-1-0-pcm?variant=31300261478462
These would be the options, from what it sounds like:

- Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dave is correct, easiest is ordering from ZZP to have no issues with programming. You need quite a bit of experience to get it right. Using the Grand Prix computer isn’t as simple as a plug and play, there’s a lot different from the Pontiac to Chevy systems even though they’re essentially the same car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts