3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 05 impala ss with 3800 series II v6. I noticed that the rubber bushings were wore out on one of the dogbone mounts so i decided to replace it. It seemed pretty easy, just remove a few bolts and take old mount off and slip the new one in, right? Not quite, for some reason the new mount is about 1/2 inch to short. Its the same exact replacement part but the mounting holes just dont line up with the new parts. Do i have to lift the engine up with a jack? Ive never replaced this part before so its new to me. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
The engine rocks back and forth on the lower mounts. You should be able to pull it into position while keeping pressure on the bolt.

In the future, if you're disconnecting the dogbones, set the parking brake to lock the rear wheels (and the overall car/engine) in place. The transmission has a bit of play in Park to not stress it too much in normal conditions, so that's where the movement is permitted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine rocks back and forth on the lower mounts. You should be able to pull it into position while keeping pressure on the bolt.

In the future, if you're disconnecting the dogbones, set the parking brake to lock the rear wheels (and the overall car/engine) in place. The transmission has a bit of play in Park to not stress it too much in normal conditions, so that's where the movement is permitted.
Thanks for the info. I did what you said and i was able to get it back together!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts