3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Need help, car no start:updated

Yesterday I finished with the motor in my car. It starteda and ran. I drove it and it idled for about an hour with no problems. Today I went to start it and nothing. The starter turnes and I can hear an occasional "bump" like it wants to start but nothing. I am going to pull wires and make sure there is spark, any other ideas.

Update:

As my last few posts said I got the car back together and running, so I thought. Today it wouldn't start so I pushed it to the garage and started working on it. I checked with an air hold tool to see if the cylinders held air, nope. So I pulled the valve cover and turned the crank by hand the rockers moved, so I don't think it went out of time. I know the cylinders held air because I installed new springs with the same tool. I pulled the blower and intake and checked for anything funny and nothing. I tried the air hold tool again and got air coming from INSIDE the engine. The car ran and drove yesterday so I don't get it. What should I check next??

·
Registered
225 Posts
john
i just went through a similar sounding issue with my friends GP.
It turned out that the Ignition module was toast and wasn't sending signal to the 1/4 coil pack. once we swapped out his module for mine it fired up first try.

Definately on the right track with testing plugs/wires first.

Let me know how it goes

Jason

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
A no start symptom could be caused by dozens of things. We'll need more clues to figure this one out.

I'd start by verifying you have fuel pressure.

Then see if you have spark.

Then see if your PCM shows any codes.

These basic checks should then lead you to the next step in solving your problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plugs were seriously fouled from fuel, so I don't think that is an issue. I checked spark on all 6 terminals which looked good. I am leaning towards a head gasket blowout between the cylinders which is causing air to move from cylinder 5 to cylinder 3. I haven't checked any other cylinders for leaks yet. The only codes I was seeing was EGR related since there is no EGR. I am doubting all the pistons took a dump and I didn't notice anything wrong with the plugs.

·
Banned
189 Posts
John,

If the car has fuel, and spark, and no codes, I would be suspicious of valve timing. Is it possible that something came loose under the timing cover?

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is yet another thing I want to check. When I rotated the crank by hand everything moved ok, I was able to turn it forwards and back and everything moved ok. Last time it went out of time the cam sprocket was all messed up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts