3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a short summer because of a broken piston in June, we now have a new major problem. Kathy came home from work and said the transmission was acting up on the way home from work. So I took it for a short ride....
Well obviously it got worse. I went about 1/2 mile before I could feel the transmission start to slip. When I pulled over to turn around I found that the car would not move an any gear including reverse. I turned the car off and waited a few min. and tried again. It would them move, but slip with even a small amount of gas. It would go about 10 feet and would not move again. I finally got it home. Checked the fluild and it smells burnt, and is now dark looking. (It had just been changed about 1000 miles ago when the new Intense converter was put in). When you first start the engine everything
sounds fine. But as it warms up, a lot of bad noises are comming from the transmission while in park. The check engine light was not on, but after reading some other posts here I check for codes anyhow. I found two codes PO742 which is the torque converter clutch system is stuck on. Not sure when they got set....

Strange thing is last week we were just at our local track and she ran fourteen 1/8 mile runs at 8.1 to 8.2 secs each. Had no problem then. But instead failed while accelerating to get on the highway on the way home.

What should I check next? Think there is any hope for anything but a complete rebuild?

Car has only 37K miles..... 2001 GTX. Driven by Kathy from day one, (except for once when I got to take it to Intense Race day this year 12.76 :D ). She usually drag races often, but this year the car has been broken for some time. She is now driving my GTP again......

Thanks
Richard

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm not a transmission expert...but it sounds like you spun or "burnt" a clutch or multiple clutches...

Sorry to hear about your troubles in 04.

Brad

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, that is sort of what I figured. I am a little surprised to find that no gear position works, including reverse. I guess the first step is to pull the pan off and see what is hiding inside.

Any way to tell if my new Torque converter is damaged? I hate to think I need to purchase another one of them also.... Probably will depend on how much metal parts are floating around inside??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BIG JEFF said:
Howdy,

May I ask what your other code is?

BIG JEFF

Jeff: I don't understand the question???

Richard

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff: Oh, I see. They were both the same code. The P0742 code. Still not sure how or where I am going to get the transmission repaired. I was on vacation for a week. I will work on this more next week.

Thanks, and Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts