3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought 2 donor cars and a crate engine for my 2001 monte carlo SS. One 2000 bonneville SSEI and a 2002 monte SS. Great deal, 400 for the bonneville and the bad transmission turned out to be just filter broken and 200 for a 2002 monte SS limited edition. I am considering doing a top swap onto one of the montes but am curious if I can put the top of an L36 onto an L67 bottom so in the end I end up with multiple functioning vehicles. Also got my wife a 2001 firebird with a 3.8 that had sat for 10 years, its working now after a bit of work but its eating gas at an extreme rate. No check engine lights and no fuel smells anywhere. Any ideas? Also does anyone have a link to a full top swap tutorial?

·
Super Moderator
370 Posts
You can watch a bunch of YouTube videos with people going through the differences, and they get it mostly correct. You can also reference ZZP's page with the parts to get an idea of what you'll need for parts/gaskets that you can piece together without spending too much.

For an L36 on an L67 bottom, Yes... that's typically how turbo setups get configured, since they don't require any of the s/c parts and like more boost on a lower compression setup. I've run L67 engine's N/A before, and they're pretty laggy, but it'll work for a daily setup you're not expecting much from. You can tune it more aggressively to try making up for that, if you want to spend the time (I'd just save for a budget turbo later, for fun). Also, keep an eye on the transmission, as it may start to misbehave if it had something a bit off before.

The Firebird may need a full once-over on all the electrical, ignition, vacuum, fuel components, etc. and just anything you can think to do for bringing it back to normal (MAF cleaner spray, fuel system cleaner, Seafoam, dielectric grease on connectors/plugs, etc.). Sitting is the worst for cars, and it'll appreciate the attention. Scanning it before/after for any issues can also help. Even a simple $15 ELM OBDII Bluetooth scanner, through the Torque app or similar, is better than nothing if you don't get around to a full scan/tune system on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its been scanned up and I use a fixd obd2 dongle with torque pro. Works great and i use the free garage pro for the abs codes. Think i found the issue, clogged cat and the paper air filter got soaked and turned to mush. It was new and free when i bought oil. Got one code for an air sensor heating element now. Btw thanks for that insight and this might work good when its time to power up the firebird. Was thinking ill turbo that when i have the money. Im trying not to have anything wasted. Btw managed to get all but $50 of my money back selling the ghetto blaster sound systems in the cars to a coworker and a pawn shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts