3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I requested this section so i guess id better post! lol.

Anyways I have a 99% stock L36 Bonneville and obviosly want it to move out of its own way a little better

What would you think will get me the best results on starting my build. I cant afford it all at once so i need to go one step at a time...
PCM
Rockers
Exhaust / Intake (will any fit my H body???)
Final Drive Gears

?????????????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Starting out with and intake and exhaust would be your best bet, you definitely want good air coming in and going out before you buy rockers, and then after you intake and exhaust i would get the PCM reprogrammed. I dont know which exhaust fits the H body but you might want to consder a custome exhaust
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
I believe your exhaust on the 2000 is pretty similar to the W-bodies, with the exception that you don't have a u-bend to delete (just one more reason H-bodies rule -meant in good humor towards W-body guys ;) )

But yeah, your best bet is to just take it to an exhaust shop, but you can also save some big $$$ buy purchasing your high flow cat, mufflers and resonator from www.justmagnaflow.com where you get free shipping with any purchase over $50. Plus their prices are unbeatable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I second the MagnaFlow.

You should take a look at stiffer motor mounts and a PCM, after the intake and exhaust work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
The L36 respond well to exhaust mods for a reasonable system start withPEM's,DP, hi-flow cat,and 2 1/2" pipe back to muffs,If your doing intake eithr build a cold air box or go to FWI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Don't know about the no motor mount comment. My question would be then what are those two things that are under my hood that hold it steady? And yes I do have that cross-member-thing on the side too. But to this mans question. Yes you will benifit from upgrading your intake and exhaust mods. Do you t-stat as well while you're at it. From there you may want to think about how much money you have, and how fast you want to go. If you start dropping money after that, then you are on the path of a sleeper......zzzzzzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Haha, i'm on the path of a sleeper, tomorrow i drop my 2000 Buick Regal LS off for a week to get my goodies in, think its all in my sig...If not here:

Intense Stage 2 N/A Cam, Stage 2 Heads, Intense Tcc-350 torque converter, ZZP HV Intake insert, extremely Ported mannis, Cometic .052 Higher compression Head gaskets, Intense Stage 2 Pcm, Intense 160* Thermostat, Autolite Platinum 104's and Mini AFC 1.0v..Car also has already: Cold Air fenderwell intake, along with Dayco poly cog belt,u-bend delete, and resonator delete, Magna flow high flow muffler, and a Dynomax Ultra flow welded muffler.... Cars gonna be siiiickkkk after this weekend.....

As for the guys question, i'd say do intake and exhaust then the pcm, then the rockers, and do final drive gears after...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Let us know how you come out. Sounds really good! I'm sketical of the HVII, but it may be ok since you're doing the stage two cam. I lost .5 offf my quarter with mine in. If i don't cam my other L36, I may just sale it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
i say....buy a JHT Custom Intake.

downpipe, 2.5 cat, 2.5 b pipe w/ resonator, and end it in dual magnaflow mufflers.

then maybe some rockers....or the PCM....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Forgot to mention: with my 9'inch cone I did make a block off plate to keep the cone seperated from the engine so as not to suck in hot engine air. Seems to work ok. Used the roof vent hood cover from Home Depot. Just cut it to shape around the intake pipe. I also used a flexable rubbber tube,(3.5'inches) and the elbow with the gromet from PFYC.com,(also 3.5'inches), and that connects to my 9 inch cone. Total set up for less than $100 bucks U.S. And they can be made for cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
don't you think a 9 inch cone is a bit much? i mean why did you stop there? get a whole foot long air filter. 9 is for girls. it's bigger, more expensive, and most give you more HP right!?!??!

oh and JHT could custom fab you a nice intake. *hint*hint*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
NismoMaxima said:
don't you think a 9 inch cone is a bit much? i mean why did you stop there? get a whole foot long air filter. 9 is for girls. it's bigger, more expensive, and most give you more HP right!?!??!

oh and JHT could custom fab you a nice intake. *hint*hint*
Here in Texas, ole girl would laf at 9 inches, she's use to 12. As for the cone he could go with a cheaper/shorter one. And who are JHT? How much would that cost him? You are right about cones though, you do get to a point when one is just to big. With the 3.8 liter engine I wouldn't drop below a five inch open cone. I used the nine mainly because I had it laying around after purchasing other set ups and experimenting with them. Nice when you got parts that you can go to the shed and get just for the hell of it!

On the reala though, my original cone intake was from Autozone and was only 3 inches in diameter with a 4.5 inch cone. Got better air=more power than stock, but not by much. The new set up being 3.5 gives more power. This was evedenced when the car started chirping the tires which is hard for a N/A Bonneville to do. And she was wearing her 9 inch cone at the time. She also has one of those Intense PCM's. That made a noticable difference as well. I'm almost afraid to see what she'll do with complete exhast work and a cam/rockers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
BFT! said:
Here in Texas, ole girl would laf at 9 inches, she's use to 12. As for the cone he could go with a cheaper/shorter one. And who are JHT? How much would that cost him? You are right about cones though, you do get to a point when one is just to big. With the 3.8 liter engine I wouldn't drop below a five inch open cone. I used the nine mainly because I had it laying around after purchasing other set ups and experimenting with them. Nice when you got parts that you can go to the shed and get just for the hell of it!

On the reala though, my original cone intake was from Autozone and was only 3 inches in diameter with a 4.5 inch cone. Got better air=more power than stock, but not by much. The new set up being 3.5 gives more power. This was evedenced when the car started chirping the tires which is hard for a N/A Bonneville to do. And she was wearing her 9 inch cone at the time. She also has one of those Intense PCM's. That made a noticable difference as well. I'm almost afraid to see what she'll do with complete exhast work and a cam/rockers.
never be afraid of performance.

i was just giving you crap about the filter...9 seems large thats all...i don't really think filter size has much to do in relation to performance, except in extreme situations & sizes...


JHT: my company. i decided to call it that...after custom building over 10+ aftermarket air intakes for cars. i should really prefab and sell.

JoHelm Technologies

jht has some relation to my name.

i say it's just a damn air intake.

heavy on the sound, light on the performance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Excuse me for being dense about JHT. Didn't pick up on the fact that you were talking about your company. If you don't market then maybe you should think more about it.; could be very much worth it! I to have thought about marketing an intake system. The main thing is defeating heat. Although my pipe diameter is 3.5 inches on the inside, I still have to worry about sucking up heat with the intake. That was why I decided to build a shield to block off the heat/air from the rest of the engine bay. This is also why I say that your filter can be to big for some applications.

As for the performance: The marvolus things I've planned for that car will make it legendary, (at least around here anyway).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
BFT! said:
Forgot to mention: with my 9'inch cone I did make a block off plate to keep the cone seperated from the engine so as not to suck in hot engine air. Seems to work ok. Used the roof vent hood cover from Home Depot. Just cut it to shape around the intake pipe. I also used a flexable rubbber tube,(3.5'inches) and the elbow with the gromet from PFYC.com,(also 3.5'inches), and that connects to my 9 inch cone. Total set up for less than $100 bucks U.S. And they can be made for cheaper.
Unless your block off plate is totally enclosed and drawing in air from outside the engine bay its not funtional really build a insulated cold air box its not that difficult
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
The way I have it set up, it runs from the side fender to the radiator and closes at the hood line. The biggest problem with 1998's is that you still wind up pulling in air from behind a hot headlight. There is no hole behind the PCM. I suppose I could cut a hole into the fenderwell and do a CAI/FWI ...... Still in its current config its better than a pure hot air intake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
aaron aka bonneville2000:
lets go put some axels in your maxima.
and then lets go put axels in my maxima.
and then...let's go race em!
i can't think of why we didn't race those cars before....you've basically got the same engine as me and one more gear!

another nissan fest in my driveway.

edit: i have sunday off. Lets go DO something saturday night. I'll be around the big city of little A around 9ish. we should set up a meeting with some of the people on this board sometime. all meet up at a bar and ****. oh and i saw some riced out honda with similar tails as mine. ****ing sucks. maybe i'll go red clear for a while.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top