3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how beneficial it would be to inject at the TB with an IC installed. I have been contemplating this for a while. Any adverse effects? Would say a 55 shot feel the same as someone without an IC?

·
Registered
174 Posts
KillerGTP said:
Just curious how beneficial it would be to inject at the TB with an IC installed. I have been contemplating this for a while. Any adverse effects? Would say a 55 shot feel the same as someone without an IC?

i know gtponfire winston took his I/C off his car, he runs a 150 wet shot

·
Registered
346 Posts
There is no better intercooler than nitrous. If the IC is already there you may consider leaving it in place for street duty as I do, but it's not really needed when you're spraying.

John

·
Registered
198 Posts
The only thing you have to be wary of is freezing your IC. You should look at a setup like JohnT has or something close to it. I think he went with the NX setup (fuel injector spacers) I'm working with the NOS Nozel setup myself. (also fuel injector spacers) The only down side to going this way is $$$$$$$$$ by the time I am done I will have a little over $1000 into it and if I add a second fuel system for the N2O then it will add probaly about $250 to $350.

Also as a sugestion you should toss on a bigger SC pulley and take some timing out when you first spray (to be safe) and then tune yourself for max performance from there.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I allways heard that you must be behind the MAF sensor in the TB when you hook up your nitrous. The only real guaranteed safe way is to tap in at the injectors with a SC engine. Also, I never read of anybody who writes about purging. At the price of nitrous, I was paying $4.50 a LB last summer, purging does use it even faster but, they say you get a much cleaner more consistant run. Any truth to that. At 4.50 a lb, the days of calling nitrous cheap HP are gone. What do you get, maybe 10 to 12 100 HP 1/4 mile runs with a 10lb bottle. Figure it out, it gets expensive.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I am using a 2.8 pulley now, I should consider something like a 3.0 or bigger? Also, should I consider running a nitrous cam or would the VS be fine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
don't spray through the i/c, it will freeze and break letting the coolant into the engine, go direct port, taping the manifold runners will be cheaper than a nozzles kit. i'm able to use a smaller pulley with n20 because the i/c effect reduces k/r, i run a 3.4 most times and a 3" when spraying at the track, if you remove the i/c you can use a t/b spacer and a single nozzle kit. i'd still have to say n2o is the cheaper way. yeah over the long run the cost will eventually cross over, but your not spending the cash all at one time and it would take several years before that happens, a 100 shot can be set up for about $800, and will run the same as someone with headers, cam, pcm, i/c, and ported blower, plus the n2o car will have the advantage of being stock for emisons testing, better gas milage and everyday reliability, but the powers there when you want it, how offten do you run the car hard anyway, less than 1% of the time for me

·
Registered
346 Posts
John,

Are you running DP into directly into the runners? If so I'd love to see a pic of your setup.

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont dog it at all. Since I have gotten older and have dogged out a few vehicles and have seen the results so I take care of my cars now. Thanks for all the feedback guys, it really helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
johnt said:
John,

Are you running DP into directly into the runners? If so I'd love to see a pic of your setup.

John
i'm running a compucar wet single nozzle system with a thrasher t/b spacer, spraying a 125 shot through the blower, i've had this kit on the car for 4 years now and have had no trouble at all with running n2o on a l67, haven't even burnt a plug yet, i use 52/33 jets, it takes 2 seconds of my et.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If your spraying a nitrous shot through the blower the compressing of the air in the supercharger itself will heat the nitrous up and it will not freeze the intercooler core. If your running a nozzle style kit and injecting it in the fuel injector bores you once again will not freeze the intercooler core because its injected past it already. You will see more gains from nitrous without spraying it through an intercooler core as it is a restriction to flow. However you can spray it through the intercooler core with ample gains if you spray it through the supercharger first and the extra oxygen is compressed. It would be like adding a larger displacement supercharger.

·
Registered
92 Posts
FlyinGTP said:
If your spraying a nitrous shot through the blower the compressing of the air in the supercharger itself will heat the nitrous up and it will not freeze the intercooler core. If your running a nozzle style kit and injecting it in the fuel injector bores you once again will not freeze the intercooler core because its injected past it already. You will see more gains from nitrous without spraying it through an intercooler core as it is a restriction to flow. However you can spray it through the intercooler core with ample gains if you spray it through the supercharger first and the extra oxygen is compressed. It would be like adding a larger displacement supercharger.

Not disputing what your saying but when you talk about the supercharger heating up the N2O, N2O sprays @ -75 degrees , the supercharger is not going to heat it up much at all. So the having IC with n2o is going to be no benefit at all except for when you do not spray.

·
Registered
16 Posts
M90's produce a lot of heat esspecially if you running 3.0 inch or smaller pulley. I don't remember the exact numbers off hand but if you go on club gp to those intercooler effiencency posts you will see that m90's put out well over 250 degree charge temps with 70 degree incoming air, so subtract 100 degrees of that charge temp still puts charge temps at 150+ degrees which an intercooler could cool further depending on how efficient the setup is. Bascily what i'm getting at is that your not going to freeze the core unless you sprayed it directly on the core and even then i think that 12 seconds max wouldn't be enough to totally freeze but i don't know the answer to that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also l67 fiero if you could shoot me a pm i have some questions about were you picked up the series 1 l67 parts i have a buddy looking to do some stuff to a series 1. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
n20 sprays at -129*, the blower may heat it up some but it's still going to hit the i/c at a very cold temp, i think it was ed morad who was freezing and busting his i/c spraying n20, don't know if he was spraying through the blower of from a custom plate under the blower

·
Registered
16 Posts
It wasn't ed, i talk to him pretty regularly and he only had problems with head gaskets when he tried to spray the car.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts