3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys may already know this but I will share my findings anyways. I was cleaning up my ICM and getting ready to reassemble the engine with a new setup when I discovered the way these coils actually work. The 2 connectors on the bottom where the coil mounts to the ICM provide the low voltage input, the 2 spark plug wires provide the high voltage output but where is the coil ground???

Here it is:

The tiny metal hole surrounds are the coil grounds, which means that the usually rusty weird 4.5mm screws transfer the coil ground to the bottom aluminum plate under the ICM. A piss poor design at best!

After a trip to the hardware store with no luck in finding the oddball screws, I decided to drill out the holes in the plate under the ICM, get longer stainless bolts with nylock nuts, stainless washers and just fasten the coils with nice brand new bolts. I cleaned the "grounds" around the holes as best as I could and done. I am fairly certain that my misfires will not be coming back after this little inexpensive mod.

Washers in place:

Tightened down:

Installed:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
the coils we have full circuit from one post to the other through both the spark plugs and wires through the engine block... those rings aren't part of the coil circuit... but they look nice anyway ;)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I got a little over excited for a moment :lmao:

I should have peaked in the service manual first.

Anyways, I installed new ignition coil bolts :8

Now onto the installation of my new T72, that should be more fun.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Your Olds is really nice and innovative. I think I remember you having a supercharger and turbocharger prior to this setup. Looks great!!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i'd be surprised if the manual had that in there, the coil packs are just 2 coils one inside the other and a metal core inside that, the inside coil generates the magnetic field when powered and when the power is disconnected from the inside coil that field collapses onto the outside coil causing the high voltage spike that creates the spark

the 2 ends of the inside coil are wired to the bottom blade terminals, and the 2 ends of the outside coil are wired to the plug wire terminals

and like GTX said, you have one helluva sweet cutlass... liked the old setup too it looked very menacing

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your Olds is really nice and innovative. I think I remember you having a supercharger and turbocharger prior to this setup. Looks great!!
Thanks, it was a beautiful setup but heavy and inneficient. This new setup will be much better, I will post more info about it.

i'd be surprised if the manual had that in there, the coil packs are just 2 coils one inside the other and a metal core inside that, the inside coil generates the magnetic field when powered and when the power is disconnected from the inside coil that field collapses onto the outside coil causing the high voltage spike that creates the spark

the 2 ends of the inside coil are wired to the bottom blade terminals, and the 2 ends of the outside coil are wired to the plug wire terminals

and like GTX said, you have one helluva sweet cutlass... liked the old setup too it looked very menacing
I never looked much into the coils but that makes sense. Thanks for the comments on the car as well, I will post more pics as I go.
Here is the latest:
Went for reliability and made a one piece intake manifold

Turned the throttle body upside down for appearance

Did a quick mock up with the turbo

Then decided to do a full wire tuck + everything delete- all that will need to be added to this picture is the turbo + piping, fuel lines, AC lines, alternator+ bracket, engine top mounts, spark plug wires and an oil cap, radiator hose. To remove: clutch fluid reservoir, will plumb into the brake reservoir instead. PCM and all wiring will be inside the car, along with all boost controls. Still haven't decided on the strut towers paint and I will be building a one piece strut tower brace integrated into a full engine bay brace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts