3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've asked before but due to some posting problems I'm not sure if this post was actually seen or replied to, so I figured I'd post again before I give up on the project and junk the car.

I bought a 1999 Buick Park Avenue, naturally aspirated and, long story short, I replaced the upper plastic intake and gasket hoping that would help my rough idle and low power problem.

Upon finishing the repair, and I had borrowed and DTC scanner from a friend and was setting it up and for testing the model and year I have. The engine had been running, though not noticeably better then before my repair, and had warmed up when it chugged a bit and quickly died.

I knew a vacuum line had gone bad on the fuel pressure regulator and evap control and had done a temporary fix just to get it going to test. I figured that was the problem as my fix did go out, but upon replacement of that and the evap and fuel regulator the engine will crank but will not fire. I finally finished connecting my borrowed scanner and it through a WHOPPING 40 DTC codes at me!

Needless to say I'm a bit overwhelmed on where to start. It seems that if I have so many codes it probably big component, computer or the like, that's causing the issue. At least that's the hope.

Here are the codes that came up for me.

po101, po102, po103, po108, po112, po113, po121, po125, po131, po132, po133, po134, po135, po137, po138, po140, po141, po171, po172, po201, po202, po203, po204, po205, po206, po300, po325, po327, po332, po336, po341, po401, po404, po420, po440, po442, po446, po502, po503, po506.

Now unfortunately, I did not have a test to compare to before I had this issue, but this seems like an obscene amount of codes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
My suggestion was going to be to unplug the MAF Sensor and see if it runs, but upon reading that many codes I'd say you are right to suspect the PCM.
I'd disconnect the PCM connectors and inspect them. There used to be somebody around that sold PCM's, you could give them your VIN and they;s even flash it for you...
Hopefully you find an easy solution, these PA's are too nice to junk!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My suggestion was going to be to unplug the MAF Sensor and see if it runs, but upon reading that many codes I'd say you are right to suspect the PCM.
I'd disconnect the PCM connectors and inspect them. There used to be somebody around that sold PCM's, you could give them your VIN and they;s even flash it for you...
Hopefully you find an easy solution, these PA's are too nice to junk!
Hey, thanks for the reply.
I will check that PCM connections and see if I can find some help with inspecting it. I wasn't even sure where to start with this mess. I loved my first PA and would like to avoid junking this one, they are a nice car for sure.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I hope I am wrong, but with so many sensors throwing codes, MA, MAP, IAT, TPS, Coolant Temp Sensor etc....
That usually happens when the PCM is failing, and having trouble communicating with all thee sensors.

You didn't remove any wires on the rear of the motor did you?
I think that is where the main ground for the sensors is at, there are 2 grounds, there and the battery, that I know of anyway..

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would clear all the codes. Then see which come back and address them in the order they come back. This might take turning the car on for a few minutes and then off several times.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so I have ordered a new ECM and hopefully that will fix my issue. I have looked at the back of the motor and my connections, and they all seem secure. I could not find a solid ground from engine to frame anywhere though, so I'm adding one just in case. Unfortunately, my friend needed his computer back, so I won't be able to check systems for a bit. Thank you everyone with the advice and support, I will update once my ECM arrives and I slap it in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello everyone,

I installed the new PCM, supposedly it is pre-programmed and plug and play for my model and VIN. However, when turning the key I get no engagement from the starter solenoid.

Searching the forums I've found that maybe I would need to do an additional security programming and/or maybe have a poor grounding condition.

I'm going to try using some extra grounding test leads and start the security procedure, though I'm not sure I need to do so for this model. Failing any results from those, I'm going to swap back the old PCM and see if I can get the motor to turn like it was before the swap.

Any additional help or info is always appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just finished the security. Though it was not listed as needing it, as far as I could find anyways, this did the trick!

The engine started up and is running better than ever!

Thank you everyone for your help and support. I would have trashed this thing out of frustration had I not been pointed to the PCM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts