3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am not sure if this is the right section for my question but hopefully you guys can help me problem solve. For the past 3 months straight I have gotten only about 11-12.5mpg. For all three months it has been only around-town driving with the occasional 15-20 mile trip, so I know it will be lower naturally, but it has never been this low before. I have also been making sure to drive with a feather foot and I rarely let the RPMs go over 2k. I use shell 93 octane, have been for the past 2 years, so I know it's not the fuel. I use Chevron Techron about every 3,000 miles to clean out the fuel system, have been doing that for about the past 7 or 8 months. My tires are at a pretty standard inflation of 32psi each tire. I don't have any huge cargo load, just me and my floormats. I get regular maintenance performed about ever 3-4K miles. So what could possibly be accounting for this terrible gas mileage :confused: Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Clogged fuel filter, fuel injectors. Vaccuum leak. Bad tune. Clogged cat. I'm sure others will throw in some other things to look into.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Fuel filter, fuel pump, clogged cat, clogged injectors, bad injector...

Id start cheap..

Fuel Filter and some injector cleaner... Xylene (sp) is what ii'd add to my fuel. Do others agree with that?

Then if that fails

Buy new Fuel pump

If that fails

bring it somewhere to diag. the car to see if an injector has failed...

That should be the cheapest and easist ways to approach/solve problem

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am gonna go out on a limb here and say O2 sensor

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think PACERSS is right on the money. Sounds like a text book description of a front O2 sensor. You really need to do a scan to be sure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the suggestions! I do not have a scanner, so where would I be able to have my car scanned to check the O2 sensor? What is the life expectancy of fuel filters? I just had a hardcore tuneup performed over the summer before my 3000+ mile vacation to upstate New York and the fuel filter was one of the many parts that were replaced with brand new ones. I don't think it could be the cat since I just got a new one installed at the same time as the rest of my exhaust work less than 5 months ago. I really appreciate the help!

Ryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could maybe the MAF be dirty? How would I got about removing it and cleaning it? Thanks in advance

Ryan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can anyone give me directions on how to remove and clean the MAF? This seems like maybe it could be a possible cause of my terrible mileage. Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
The MAF is integrated into the throttle body. It's also very delicate, so be careful. The easiest way is to remove the MAF screen from the throttle body and use some rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. Electrical contact cleaner also works well. Whatever you use, it can't leave ANY residue whatsovever. It you want to do a more thorough job, remove the throttle body and clean it out with a good TB cleaner, then use alcohol or contact cleaner on the MAF wires.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help :) I think I'm going to clean it later this afternoon.

Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts