3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been thinking lately about the high end replacement blowers. It seems that the popularity of the MP112 is a bit higher, but it seems like the whipple is growing as well. I was wondering which blower is actually better overall for an L67. Obviously, assume the car has all the supporting mods, since it would be pointless to upgrade from the m90 w/o all the supporting mods in place. I was just wondering if one was superior to the other, and what advantages each has.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am no expert.... but from what I have gathered...

The MP112 is more or less a longer version of the M90 that is able to push more air and operate more effeciently and at lower temperatures (allowing it to run at higher boost levels without creating too much heat as the M90 does).

The Whipple is actually a twin screw blower, that is capable of compressing said air, making for a more dense and powerful combustion. It also operates mor efficiantly and at lower temperatures then the MP112, and is eons above the M90, allowing it to run at far highger boost levels than either.

Atleast, this is what I have gathered.

animuL would be your man on this question though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I've been talking to him via email a bit lately. I'm really looking for a goal to set for my motor (be it installed before or after the engine goes in the car). I only started even thinking about the whipple after I found you could actually get "bolt on" kits for it. Anyone know hp wise what mp112s are putting down on these engines compared to whipples?

·
Registered
98 Posts
One thing that I was told about the Whipple, is that the it uses less HP to operate. As it's a lot more efficient in it's operation. I know when the time is up for my M90 I will definately be going the 2300 option... :D

Also the differences in output of air between them is quite a lot. The M90 pushes 1406.25cc. The M112 pushes 1750cc of air and the Whipple 2300 pushes, well 2300cc of air. So You can run the whipple at a slower rpm whilst creating a certain boost, adding to that the blower is already more efficient at a said rpm when compared to the M112 but spinning it even slower means it is using even less HP. Not to mention making the blower spin slower means less heat introduced into the intake charge blah blah blah...

Really I can only see pluses in using the whipple :D :D :D

That's my spin on things

Tark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Whipple info

The best technical info I can really give you is here: http://members.cox.net/animul67/whippletechinfo.htm

The best way to determine wich is better is obviously to look at results. The only hard data I really have on Whipplecharged GPs is that my otherwise stock GTP made 330 horse and 440 torque with the Whipple, thats enough to run high 12s. Also my Lumina ran a [email protected] with 13 psi non-intercooled and on a very conservative tune. Typical modded GTPs should easily go mid 12s, heavily modded GTPs would be easily in the 11s. Max for a 2300AX Whipple is about 750 crank horsepower, but thats enough to put a typical weight GTP in the 9s! After that you could bolt the 3300 Whipple on and go like 4s or something ;), lol. Feel free to email me at [email protected] if ou have any more questions as I don't want to be advertising on here, stricktly tech info for the forums.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The problems are going to be the increased boost. You are goingt to need a good IC to cool that down. Since none of the IC are made to take a whipple bolt pattern or opening, you will need a custom one. Also the Whipple is not on any heavily modded GP. As Tom said he had one on a stock GP and also his lumina. So far the MP112s that on on heavily modded GP have all done very well. JohnT, Scott Murry, CGs cars all have done very well. I would love to see someone take a whipple and make it work. Mt Hat in Nebraska has a modded GP with a whipple but he isnt running very good yet. So we will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Merc, actually the lower running temps of the whipple allow you to run without an IC and handle far more boost then a M90 or MP112 can produce. As said, it spins slower, keeping temps low, yet produces more boost. Something with the compression effects of twin rotors.

Also, I believe the Whipple adapter plate will bolt onto any stock M90 IC. Atleast I am pretty sure thats what I have heard from animuL and other whipple owners.

The main reason Whipple cars arent pushing 9-10 seconds now is the price is so high it takes owners so much longer to add additional mods to their car =P You see MP112's all over with S3 this and that, but your hard pressed to find a Whipple with even a full exhaust system yet.

animuL and INTENSE need to work something out. I am sure animuL wouldnt mind pushing these things quicker, INTENSE wouldnt mind pushing these things either, and INTENSE could have a ton of records if they began using these.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
im sure there are or will be an adapter to bolt it on, but something that has that much potential, you will want an IC under it.

i agree with you though cause it is such an expensive blower, that its hard to do much after you buy one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ics

Whipples can be ran with M90 intercoolers, a custom intercooler is no longer needed. Stock head gaskets can handle around 18-20 psi of boost, at that rate you'd be making up to 650 crank horsepower with a Whipple.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
So they are a direct bolt on? i dont think so. So you need a way to bolt it to your IC, so that is what makes it a custom one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
animuL includes adapter plates in his package. The adapter plate should be a direct bolt on to the M90 intercooler. Me personally, I would like to have a whipple IC bolted on to the top of the adapter plate, rather then vise-versa.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Right Tom makes these, that is my point. If you just bought a whipple from someone it wouldnt work without the adapter plate.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looked at the site animul posted about the whipples-had a ton of great info on the whipple vs m90, csc, turbo. As far as I can tell, the whipple moves more air per revolution, plus it compresses air inside itself, and it has a lower output temperature. Are there any advantages the MP112 has over the whipple other than the obvious price difference?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Merc said:
Right Tom makes these, that is my point. If you just bought a whipple from someone it wouldnt work without the adapter plate.

im not sure i follow you exactly here... you said "Since none of the IC are made to take a whipple bolt pattern or opening, you will need a custom one."

The newest design Whipple kits I have come with a 1/2" adapter plate bolted to the bottom of them. With this plate they sit the same height as an M90 and they bolt either right onto the stock intake manifold, or you can run an M90 intercooler. It doesn't bolt to the intercooler, the bolts just go through it, works exactly like the M90 does... Basically the Whipple does not have a flange on it like the M90 does to bolt to out intakes. So what I do is make that flange, then they become interchangeable with the M90 on the L67. The reason its setup like this now, is so that people dont have to get a new ic. You are correct though that if you bought a Whipple direct from Whipple or from someone else, its not going to bolt up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Knightmare said:
Price, and ease of installation/running. There are definitely more people running it successfully.

I don't really know what an M112 costs or how hard it is to install. But the Whipple kits are a direct bolt on, no modifications required, and can be installed by anyone with basic mechanical skills in 3 hrs max... I can do it in about 30 minutes. Once installed, its get in and drive, nothing else is needed. They are not what most people would consider cheap or inexpensive, but power/cost ratio is pretty good.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.