3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a VS cam installed in my L36. I have autolite 103 plugs gapped at .48. The garage had them gapped at factory specs of .56. :eek: and I was misfiring like crazy. So I had to change them back to .48. I am still getting just a little bit of misfire during idle. When I had the cam installed the garage changed the wires. Do you think they could be the problem?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Always recheck previous work if a problem crops up afterwards. Did you do a case learn? The mechanic had to have had the cam and crank sensor off, and you should do a case learn when either one is removed and reinstalled or flat out replaced.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy,

It is normal to experience random misfires on tour data logger after a cam install. If you have an aftermarket p.c.m., you may want to have code p0300 turned off.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BIG JEFF

Do these random misfires cause any problems? They only happen when I'm idling or autotapping my car in park.

I had my car hooked up to my autotap and I tried revving it while I was in park to get some data, and the thing kept sputtering like crazy. It doesn't do it on the dyno or when I'm driving and hit the gas hard. Only in park. Any idea why?

I have an L36 with a csc, vs cam, headers, stage 1 tb, and a bunch of other stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:eek: Well god damn. That would explain everything. You the man Big Jeff. I honestly had no idea. :confused: See fellas it pays to ask questions. Even if you think they're dumb.
Thanks

I'm going to the dyno tomorrow. I'll post the results as soon as I get them. Hopefully I'll be all tuned and powerfull :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
rev limiter

are the sc and na versions of the 3800 set to cut off at 4000? just wonderin' and i don't mean to be a pain but did you bother to rev the engine at all before you put the mods in?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gpgab97 said:
are the sc and na versions of the 3800 set to cut off at 4000? just wonderin' and i don't mean to be a pain but did you bother to rev the engine at all before you put the mods in?
I didn't rev before the mods. I think all of the cars sc or na have the rev limiter at or around 4000rpms.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
BIG JEFF said:
Howdy,

Did you know that you have a 4000 rev limiter when in park?

BIG JEFF
DING! I was going to say that just from your title of the thread. It keeps people from blowing their engines while they are in P and N.

The random misfire will not hurt yoru car, but it will throw and SES light. So if you dont mind it being on or dont mind clearing it all the time, leave the code there. I have mine removed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just to clarify, at idle, you are not actually experiencing misfires. The PCM just "thinks" they are misfires with bigger cams, and records them as such.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Does anybody know how to get rid of the 4000rpm limiter in park?

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Why would you want to? It protects your engine.

·
Registered
347 Posts
1Hot97 said:
Why would you want to? It protects your engine.
Why does it make a difference when yoru in park? I take my car up to 6k multiple times daily, why should it be at 4k then im in park?

·
Registered
791 Posts
it their for stupid people that want to rev the **** out of their motor in park or nutural. So you blow it up. because the worst thing for a motor is to rev the piss out of it with no load. So dont be stupid leave it alone. inless you like spending money.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey, if it blows then thats just an excuse to build it up BIGGER and BADDER, thats how i like to think of it :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts