3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, this question is for all you L36 guys that have been around awhile.
what I'm trying to do as my next goal, is to put my 99 GP GT into the mid 14's. My mods as they stand now are.....ZZP HV insert, ZZP HV TB, SLP CAI, IAT moved to intake of CAI, 180 drilled t-stat, randon tech high flow cat, no u-bend or resignator, dual flowmaster 60's......anyway I'm trying to come up with my next mods for spring racing.....any good Ideas, rockers are my next thought, also whats better for an L36, 1.8's or 1.9's........thanx a bunch guys.....Dan(proud member of PDXCGP)

·
Banned
203 Posts
Lose the intake insert and get a cam, ls6 valve springs/retainers, and a PCM. That will put you real close.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I guess I forgot to mention I have a DHP PCM....sorry. Why lose the Insert? I feel a real differance with it, and more upper end with it...and what cam do you recommend, also if I could I'd like to do this without a cam if possible

·
Banned
203 Posts
It'll be tough getting there w/o a cam. Others have done it. But there's probably a few other mods that were left out.

As for the insert? I lost a half of a second with it in. Several others have too (and we all had different setups) (between cams, rockers, no rockers, exhaust, etc.).

If you don't want to get a cam, I have a buddy who's selling ZZP SR rockers (1.8/1.85) for a decent price.

Have you hit the track yet this year with the mods you listed? That might give a better idea of what you'll need on the car to run mid 14's.

·
Registered
168 Posts
HVII sucks listen to Buck, get the cam, springs, PCM, HVTB, CAI or FWI, atleast 2.5" DP w/ u-bend delete, 180 t-stat and some AL 104's gapped .055-.060. That should put you right around 14.7-8.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hummm I gained 3 tenths at the track with the insert. right now i'm running low 15's.....also before spring, i'll be adding a set of TOG's.....ask your buddy how old the rockers are and how much does he want for them

·
Banned
203 Posts
Rockers are a few years old. Rockers don't wear down either.

I think he's asking $150 for them.. negotiable.

·
Registered
651 Posts
A cam is more, but you will love it in the end. HVII is oooooooooooook, if you stick with stock exhaust. I added SLP headers to my combo of: hvtb, hvii, dhp, rockers, plugs, wires, 180, motor mounts, and I lost .1-.2 in the quarter. My car was a dog up till 4000RPMs then shot to 6000. I took the insert out and the powerband is alot more broad. It felt my lowend came back with a vengence, and my top end was still screaming due to rockers and headers.

That was my experience with the HVII.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've always heard if you open up the exhaust to much you lose the low end on a L36 (3 inch exhaust) it needs some back pressure

·
Banned
203 Posts
fast_redgt said:
I've always heard if you open up the exhaust to much you lose the low end on a L36 (3 inch exhaust) it needs some back pressure
Malibu on here has a stock dp, stock back. But he does have PEM's. He lost about .3-.4 with his.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2.5" No cat DP w/ stock manifolds, and a 3" exhaust and I lose no low end really my best 60' is a 2.16 on street tires. I imagine if I ported the mani's then I would definately lose some.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
right now I know I don't have any lower end lose, if any thing its alittle flat on the upper end, she gets the RPM's up fast..... I've heard adding a set of SLP or newer TOGs to an L36 hurts the lower end due to the large pipe(has to do with scavenging), I have an early set of TOGS with smaller pipe, i'm told work much better for low end, the piping is not much larger than stock.....anyway right now I have no problem with the insert, I would like to know what rockers would work best with the combo I have right now though, without a cam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is there a cam out there you could utilize with some slightly higher than stock ratio rockers(1.7?). I would think that combo, although a little spendy, would be a great power adder.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The 1.8 rockers seem to be the best option for the L36 but I would suggest PEM's and DP first, and as mentioned by others ditch the HVII or I doubt you will see 14's .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I currently have the SR rockers (1.8/1.85) and love them. I heard that having a different lift for intake and exhaust is the best way for the L36. I heard they were even better than the 1.9's however, I have nothing to back that up. I will be getting a cam here in the future though, so I will be getting rid of them, but it's not because I don't like them, I just want even more power :D
As for the insert, it's great if you don't take your car to the track. It feels like your car flies, but when you take it to the track it doesn't produce the numbers. Like Buck said, I have almost stock exhaust (only pem's) and went from a 14.785 to a 15.3 while also adding a DHP and TB. So, if you just want to race on the highway, it's great, but it's not great for making ET's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok next question, if you take the insert out, are you guys putting the stock runners back in?

·
Registered
238 Posts
fast_redgt said:
right now I know I don't have any lower end lose, if any thing its alittle flat on the upper end, she gets the RPM's up fast..... I've heard adding a set of SLP or newer TOGs to an L36 hurts the lower end due to the large pipe(has to do with scavenging), I have an early set of TOGS with smaller pipe, i'm told work much better for low end, the piping is not much larger than stock.....anyway right now I have no problem with the insert, I would like to know what rockers would work best with the combo I have right now though, without a cam
as far as using TOG headers, me personally, i didnt notice any loss in low end power, if you dont want a cam your best bet are the rockers, so the L36 ER rockers are the best, if its not that ergent for you to get rockers now i would wait for the ER rockers to come back out, in roller rocker form from ZZP, but it will be hard to get mid 14's without a cam, but getting intake, exhaust, headers, throttle body, DHP, Rockers weight reduction, and as cool weather as possible with real low 60' could get you there

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanx Honda, Kinda my feelings, this morning I e-mailed Zoomer, and thats what I had already decided to do, we had a good discusion on what would work best. Looks like alittle testing is in order, HA!!! But we live for that at the track anyway :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
'99 GP GT: Random Tech 3" DP w/ High Flow Cat to stock cat back exhaust, (no ubend, no resonator), PEMs, Gutted Airbox w/ K&N filter, 1.85:1 rockers, 180* stat, DHP v.1.0, and a good launch w/ good street tires.

What will that get most likely in the 1/4??? Not looking for exact #'s, but rough estimates work. I figured anyone with a similar setup could chime in and let me know through their experience.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts