3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently doing some research and looking to swap a 3800sc into a Fiero and I want to know what's the most horsepower you can get out of these 3.8 series 2 engines with still running a supercharger. I want around 400-500rwhp and don't mind spending a couple grand on mods getting it there. Looking online I can't find any high horsepower build threads for the 3.8, any information that some can provide would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and say you aren't going to get 400 hp without bottom end mods, the engine needs serious upgrades at that point. Even the LS1's are recommended to go to aftermarket rods at 500 hp.

I would expect pistons to be first needed upgrade for 400+ hp. But a putting enough mods on a 3800 to make 400 without serious bottom end is going to be a short lived wonder engine I would expect.

I'm currently doing some research and looking to swap a 3800sc into a Fiero and I want to know what's the most horsepower you can get out of these 3.8 series 2 engines with still running a supercharger. I want around 400-500rwhp and don't mind spending a couple grand on mods getting it there. Looking online I can't find any high horsepower build threads for the 3.8, any information that some can provide would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a problem modding the bottom end, race bearings, forged rods and pistons don't scare me, I just want to know what kind of horsepower can be made using the series 2 supercharger

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
With the amount of heat the M90 or kin SC's blow, I would look at a Procharger or a Turbo. Probably cheaper. There is a $2300 M112 on here for sale right now in the for sale section, that would be I would think a mandatory starting point for keeping a Eaton blower on.

Could be done, but going to be expensive. But for sure doable if $$ is available to do it.

Now, for a transmission, that might be the bigger problem... getting it to the ground.

I don't have a problem modding the bottom end, race bearings, forged rods and pistons don't scare me, I just want to know what kind of horsepower can be made using the series 2 supercharger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fiero's have the getrag 5spd that can hold up to over 500hp without trouble, plus being a mid engine car with RWD it'll get traction if you put some slicks on.

·
Registered
235 Posts
m90's and spray get along together very well - the cold nitrous negates the heat of the M90 , my 4dr gtp traps 118 mph on spray , full weight car if you look up 3600# car trapping 118 it will be over 400whp surely

its a stock 165k engine and I have sprayed the heck out of it , same combo in a lighter better hooking fiero should run low 11's or quicker....

worst case you kill an engine that can be replaced for $400-500 or less any other route to 400-500 hp is going to cost you thousands .

as mentioned turbo is the best route short of spraying to reach those hp levels - I bet a twin rear mount turbo setup would be pretty easy to do on a fiero since all the engine & exhaust components are allready at the rear :hmmmm:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya I don't mind spending a couple grand on the motor, I wish there was more resources to see what other people have done and what can be done on stock internals, I read on one forum that because the rods and pistions are built tough from factory stock rods and pistons can do 700hp at the crank. But then buddy's saying not even 400. Whoo knows?!

·
Registered
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts