3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently noticed a minor shudder/vibration on my 2000 GTP.
It only happened when I made a right hand turn under load, such as an on/off ramp to a highway.

At the time I had high miles on the tires so I put new ones on. No help.
Noticed that the front left strut was leaking so I replaced the struts.......no help and problem was getting worse.
Came across a bad wheel hub so had that replaced......no help and now scratching head.
Had the tranny checked just for kicks, dropped the pan replaced fluids etc.Tech said all is good with the tranny parts/mounts etc.

So, the problem is real bad now. I get a serious rapid shudder when accelerating around a right hand curve. It does not happen at all when I go on a left hand turn. I can also feel it when I am going straight at highway speed and I am going over waves in the road. On the suspension downstroke/load only,, I feel the shudder.

Any ideas as to what this could be. The ony thing that I can think of would be the drivers side Axleshaft/CV joint.

Any help appreciated.

PF

·
Registered
38 Posts
Inner or outer joint would be my guess, also. I just replaced my half shafts this week. They were 50-60 bucks + core charge a piece through a commercial NAPA account.

·
Registered
29 Posts
vibration, etc

Did you first notice the vibration under load? I have a 2001 GTP that's got a major vibration that starts at about 30 mph, but only shows up when the car has been driven a while. Don't know if this could be related to your problem. :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I only notice under load. But mine specifically only happens making a right hand turn under load. That lends me to beleive its a CV/axle problem

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine seems to be unaffected by turns..never really tried to accelerate thru a turn to confirm. Also, my vibration seems to change when I travel over roads that are rough. Last time it seemed to stop temporarily (a few second) while we were going over some shallow dips in the road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With my research into my issue, one mechanic noted a possible issue( wasn't the case with mine) to check something he had come across twice with his own late modle w body GM's.
Check to transmission dog gears. The vibration is a sign they are going and if they go they can cause lots of damage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmm.. I'm not sure about that issue. Mine seems to shift o.k, don't know if that's any indication or if there is more $$$$ trouble ahead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I heard is that shifting would be ok, the vibration is the key. When my car was driven, it was the first thing that the mechanicas thought of, I then took it to a tranny shop where it checked out fine. For $ $75 its worth the shot, especially that included in that price you could get your tranny fluid changed and have everything else looked at.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On another topic, you state that you have all options.
I have 3.75 pully(way back in time only size available) gatorback belt, slp cold air induction w/ K&N cone Taylor(old) wires

I need new SP wires. I have 95000 miles on my taylors( which I hear are not that good) What do you run??

I also just ordered a 3.4 pully, new SC coupler, oversize tensioner, TB spacer, ubend uppgrade and TR6 plugs.
What do you think of the setup??
Think my KR will be in line??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Basically, I meant the car as it came from the factory. You have way more mods than I do. Mine's all stock. I do need a new s.c tensioner on mine; what's differant about the oversize model you're ordering?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you run a downsized SC pully from 3.4 and smaller, you need to get an oversized tensioner otherwise the sc belt will be too big and slip.

I just replaced one of my tensioners as well, bearings siezed and it melted off the car. Got from the dealer for $ 18.00. Takes only 5 minutes to install.

Just in case it was the same one, the nut is a # 50 torx bit. Autozone or pep boys) Otherwise , the other tensioner is a 15mm socket.

·
Registered
29 Posts
cool..I didn't know if it was something I should consider vs. the 50 + dollar stock assembly that the dealer has to special order. ( i had prices ranging from 50.00 to 180.00)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think my problem is the Right Outer c.v. joint. I have a line of grease that looks like it sprayed up from that location. It continues up the side of the overflow bottle, up the firewall and onto the hood blanket. Its goopy and green, just like c.v grease. :mad:

·
Banned
189 Posts
Howdy,

Well, the fact that your symptom is suspension load related certainly lends credibility to the c.v. joint theory.
This is not usually an observasion that do it yourselfers make. GOOD CATCH. I would consider some replacement axle shafts. They are available locally and are not expensive.

BIG JEFF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts