3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Fixed for you. :icon_twis
lol, i bet the block breaks aluminum fails. now that iron block from the pickups on the other hand... no worries there

·
Registered
873 Posts
Use 2 wire coils like Ford's cop's,just wire two in series to where the coil plugs into the control module.
Several have done this type of mod to GM DIS.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Iron also can't disapate heat as quickly as aluminum . there are tons of all aluminum motors like dynobrian said eclipsing 1000hp. If you want the LS coil swap look at rjcracing.com this guy successfully used the coils on grandnationals so its relatively the same thing for 3800's

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i was told that over 700 to the wheel the aluminum block was a liability, but i'm fairly certain that only applies to the LS1, the newer aluminum blocks are likely far better when it comes to power handling

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
650 wheel plus should have rod bolts.
800 wheel is pushing it on stock rods.
i'll do a v8 some day when i can afford a classic to build, until then i'm keeping this v6 and i may swap it into a mid 80's-early 90's firebird

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
i'll do a v8 some day when i can afford a classic to build, until then i'm keeping this v6 and i may swap it into a mid 80's-early 90's firebird
You don't have to wait to get a LS motor get a ls4 and put it in the Monte a couple simple mods and you'll be pushing the same amount of power you have now if not more

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
You don't have to wait to get a LS motor get a ls4 and put it in the Monte a couple simple mods and you'll be pushing the same amount of power you have now if not more
yeah not happenin captain, v8's have no business being FWD it's an insult to their history of RWD awesomeness... that and my forearms are a bloody tattered mess after changing the rear plugs on that damned engine, i would never own one of them for that reason alone.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
yeah not happenin captain, v8's have no business being FWD it's an insult to their history of RWD awesomeness... that and my forearms are a bloody tattered mess after changing the rear plugs on that damned engine, i would never own one of them for that reason alone.
Lol come on man if youre going to apply that logic neither does a supercharged 6 belong in a fwd config. On a LS4 spark plugs are just as easy as doing them on the 3800. Honestly it take me the same amount of time as it did my GTP as it does my Gxp.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
i can change the plugs in my 3800 in 5 minutes in front of a parts store because there's tons of room, it took me well over an hour to do the plugs on my mothers LS4 Monte and afterwards my arms were a bloody mess.
I have pretty big arms from high school and college football and that doesn't help in tight spaces. i wonder if the monte's with the v8 have less room in the rear...

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
It helps to pull the coil pack bracket Thats what I always do

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
If I put my mind to it I probably could do it. No one ever asked before!

Has anyone ever tried to make a set of the "LS1" style coils work on our 3800 motors?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
was just wondering because i know the truck "heat sink" coils seem to be pretty damm hot. right now i have to run a plug gap of about .032" to keep from blowing the spark out and im only about 6psi from my M90 (the 300whp cyl pressure means nothing lol). Not sure if the gains would be worth the work it would take to make it work but it was just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts