3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new jasper motor in '08 in my camaro. I figured when the engine got more broken in it would fix itself. Over 20,000 miles later and same thing happens.

The oil pressure guage has always hovered right above the red area (maybe around 10 psi). When accelerating it drops ever so slightly into the red. Dosn't seem to matter how hard I accelerate. When holding speed it goes back to its idle pressure.

There is one exeption, when the engine is still cold it may hit 20 psi.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 (or maybe 5w-30 for the life of me I cannot remember). The engine has NEVER knocked or made any sounds ever unless its super cold the night before for only 30 seconds or so at startup.

Or maybe its the gauge? Its does like to "flutter" every so often and it dosn't glide as much as jump when it moves. I never changed the sensor so it may be that?

Thanks for helping the newb!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
i would be hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to it and verify your dash gauge. alot of times the sensor goes bad and will read low. i think a new sensor is like 40$

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I was thinking the same thing.

I went on a trip of 180 mi round and noticed that when sitting in traffic the gauge will read zero and that it dosn't seem to matter how high the engine revs when moving or not, it only budges to engine temp. So when the engine is cold it will read about 30 and as it warms to its 180 deg norm the pressure reads 10 psi, and when it hits 210 it drops to 5-0 psi.

Mind you this engine is running strong the whole time with no knocks or shudders (at least not abnormal ones ;))

So my next question is this, do I have enough proof that its the sensor to just go ahead and get it replaced or should I still hook a mechnical one jik?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
my friends did the exact same thing check for oil in the connector part. that will show if it is bad or not. it up to you if you want to check it with a mechanical gauge or not. i wouldnt, especially if i didnt have one. if your engine aint knocking and the pressure drops to 0. i would definatly say its the sensor

·
Registered
984 Posts
I had an 270* electronic gauge from Autometer (cobalt) and the sender was reading -.1 V with the car off (should be .5, the range for the sensor is 0-100 psi, .5-4.5V) So it was reading 15 psi low across the board. after I replaced the sender everything was good.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
sensor has been replaced and it reads the same.

I unhooked the sensor just to be sure the gauge works and it does. It went full range (past 120 psi)

So this is bad because that means that the gauge might actually be correct and I'm in serious trouble.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Change the oil and run a magnet through your catch pan, also look for copper traces in the oil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm looking at the haynes book (friends) and its giving me these options to fix this:

1. improper oil grade (5w-30 mobil 1 synthetic)

2. oil pressure regulator needs cleaning/replacing. (I'm thinking this one)

3. engine overheating (definatly not)

4. clogged oil filter (don't think so)

5. clogged oil strainer (not sure what this is or where)

6. oil pressure gauge not working properly (brand spanking new)

#2 requires quite a bit of work to get to but I'm guessing this is the next step...

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm assuming they're referring to the strainer as the screen on the end of the pick up tube, pretty easy to get to, just have to drop the pan. The oil pressure reg could be sticking too like you say, a good cleaning might help, be on the look out for metal while you're in it

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went to a friends shop an hour away, hooked up a mechanical guage and it read 27 psi with air in the line. I assume thats normal.

I was told to get a napa sensor instead of the Discount Auto one and it might make the difference. Comments?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Yeah the air in the line is normal, I'm not sure the diff sender would make a difference but you could try it. When was it reading 27 psi, at Idle cold, idle warmed up, certain rpm? For warmed up idle thats fine, cold idle they usually run higher but as long as you're seeing at least around 20 at idle actual (mech. gauge) you should be alright. Possibly your sender is fine and you're having IP cluster problems? Mine completely tweaked out on me a couple times last year (i think i have a video of it doing it) it would drop to zero then slam up to like 80's+ then drop straight to zero all like within seconds (way too fast for the oil pressure to really be varying that much) and the whole time she ran completely normal just sitting there idling. That's why I threw a mech on mine but then it hasn't done it again. I noticed a couple other needles would tweak a bit when it did that too, barely even noticable, just like a little shutter.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The oil pressure should build with RPM's. Maybe a problem with the relief valve sticking?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
****SOLVED-ISH****

Got an AcDelco sensor and its reading right on the money (30 psi). Just goes to show going cheap doesn't always pay off.

The reason its solved-ish is because reving dosn't move the gauge (maybe thats what the valve does?), but I'm just happy that its reading accurate :icon_lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.