3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: :confused: recently my "low coolant light" come on in the morning when i leave for work. the light goes off after the car gets up to operating temp. I have check the coolant level in the morning before starting the car and the coolant is completly full. Later in the day after starting the car the light comes on again but goes off quicker. This is happing daily. My question is will a coolant flush help or is it a much more serious problem.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2000 Monte Carlo SS. It's been doing it for over a year now with no problems. I pretty much just ignore it now anyway. Like you, the coolant is full. I think it happened when I took my car in for a recall on the upper intake manifold plenum. I don't seem to remember it ever happening before the fix and then all of a sudden it started. I would like to know why too.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Might want to check for air in the system, if that's not it, could be your coolant level sensor is bad?

·
Registered
187 Posts
1Hot97 said:
Might want to check for air in the system, if that's not it, could be your coolant level sensor is bad?
Clean the level sensor and power flush your system to get all of the factory stop leak crap out of it. Should take care of it.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My light came on as well driving home a few weeks ago. So i pulled over and looked in teh engine bay and i had plenty in the overflow bottle and the hoses were solid and nothing sounded wrong. I opened the overflow bottle and looked in and i coudl see coolent and everything seemed fine. No temp spikes or anything. Shut the hood and got in teh car and the light was off. Hasnt come back on since then. Thatw as like 3 weeks ago now. Im thinking sensor might be going.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Like said above, your sensor probably has crap built up on it. Unfortunately, you will have to drain some coolant out to pull the sensor out, in order to clean it (or just let the coolant run all over your driveway ;)).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
fixxed

:D I went to my local shop and had a flush done and now the coolant light is off. the only bummer was that it cost $10 more because of the dexacol coolant. The grand total was about $50.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts