3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 Regal Series I that has given me trouble since I got it. I have fixed most of the issues but i'm loosing water quickly. I live in Florida so i'm using water until i get this figured out

-No external leak and I have pressure tested the system and it holds pressure
-After topping off the radiator, bleed the system and 10 minutes later I have a low coolant light flickering on and off and when i check it the radiator low again.
-Some bubbling in coolant reservior
-Slight mixing of oil and water
-Misfire gets worse when engine warms up

Any ideas what could cause this?
I'll attach a video of the bubbles coming from the radiator and coolant reservoir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmbeqUINDgU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg2nai9CWCM

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I hope that the coolant is not in the engine crankcase/oilpan. You will destroy the engine bearings very quickly.Change the oil immediately if it looks milky (contamination) If oil is mixing in at the radiator, are you certain it is not transmission fluid from the transmission? Check the trans fluid level and condition. The trans oil cooler in the radiator can rust out and fail.

If the mixing in the radiator is engine oil, you may have to replace the intake gaskets. Be prepared to replace the upper plenum with a dorman one. The original warps and causes leaking. I did that fun job about 6 months ago on our 95 Transport 3800 series 1.

The bubbling could possibly be a bad head gasket. It is not common for the 3800 series 1 engines to have head gasket issues. Look for any heavy steaming coming from the exhaust, especially when hot....Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTX thanks for the response.

Is it possible that it is a one way leak, combustion to coolant and the pressure increase is forcing water out of the radiator and thenair bubbles in the reserve tank?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
There is supposed to be a chemical test that you can have done that analyzes the coolant to determine if it is combustion gases entering your coolant.

Are you aware of this engine ever being over heated?

If you have done the checks I told you about in the my first response, you may likely have a leak in a cylinder. Obviously, I would check the spark plug with the cylinder miss and compare it to a few others. If you have to replace the head gaskets, you will also end up replacing the upper plenum and lower intake gaskets. This will make a big difference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if it was overheated but I'm assuming it was based on the new radiator, water pump, and headgaskets on it. It has had the bubbles in coolant since I got it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello, i am also having a coolant leak in my 97 regal 3800 non s/c. we recently had a hard freeze here in the south. went to crank and noticed coolant light was on. ran hose pipe into radiator and water just rushes from the front of the engine. im hoping its the freeze plug since some antifreeze came out then just clear water. is it just the freeze plug or am i looking at some serious engine damage? any suggestions or help? thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts