3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a ton of work on the 3800 vin k in my regency. I replaced the manifold gasket new gaskets except heads and the head gaskets were bad long story short blew the engine but it didnt throw a rod just puttered to a stop. when I crank the car the starter engages but the engine doesn't turn.
I wasn't driving it when it went but I think the rings welded themselves to the block.
now for the advice
it is a 1996 vin k with 169k on it
I have broken most of the top end down and was wondering if it would be worth it to just re bore and get new pistons on the existing block?
I do not think anything was damaged in the heads and I have a new water pump 1 week old and everything is looking good coming off.
the other option was to see if the supercharged 3800 vin k would mount up to the 98 regency.
I think they are the same but for the serpintine belt.
would it add power if I swapped?
I love the car and it has the best ride but it is sentimental as well since it was the last car my dad traveled in before passing. I am going to fix it one way or another but if it would be economical it would be cool to have the fastest 1996 regency on the road.
so... rebuild the current engine, Is it even possible or cost effective
or ... buy a used 3800 vin k supercharged? will it fit right?
1996 oldsmobile regency 98 3800 vin k stock possibly blown

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
continuing to remove parts

I have the valve covers off having a problem with the linkage cable looks like a bike break wire that fits in a slot but I cannot turn the pin thinking of taking the whole throttle body off of the housing and leaving it attached to the cable until I get the new motor in. any suggestions
3800 vin k 1996 olds regency stock

1 - 2 of 2 Posts