3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. So glad I found this place. I recently inherited my father's 2007 Buick Lucerne with a 3800 Series III. Until I got it, the car was driven less than 2,000 miles a year, and garaged. I'm now using it as a daily driver and a long-haul business trip cruiser. What a joy this engine is. It needed a fresh set of everything when I got it: serpentine belt, some hoses, all fluids and filters. The amazing thing to me is that, unlike my other, newer cars, I can reach and work on nearly everything in the engine bay myself. Looks like this will be my go-to spot if I ever run into any trouble, but by all indications this engine will give me very little trouble.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The Lucerne is nice to take on a long trip and sounds like the one you inherited is brand new still. The 3800 isn't bad to work on at all. IMO the hardest thing to reach is the power steering reservoir. Yes, a non-abused well maintained 3800 powered car will last well over 300,000 miles. The only issue you really have to watch out for is the intake gaskets just before 100k. I believe the issue was mostly resolved with the series III, but there have still been a few that I know of. The only other thing is the 90 degree plastic coolant elbows behind the tensioner that get brittle and crack. Dorman make aluminum replacements for those. Nothing is perfect, but the 3800 is pretty damn close lol. Enjoy it & we are always here to help!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts