3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I pulled my UIM and LIM last week and found that the LIM gasket was in really bad shape. I also found that there was a small divet where the metal of the LIM had worn away:icon_conf. I'm not sure how this might affect engine performance. I am trying to find out if anyone thinks this will be a problem or if I need to get this repaired or have the LIM replaced before I put the engine back together. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

The 3rd, 4th and 5th pics are of the coolant passage that was blocked, the divet worn into the LIM and the gasket at the coolant passage where the LIM is worn away.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did pick up a thing of J-D Weld from Autozone but I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet... I scrubbed the intake manifold till it was clean and free of all that carbon build-up and dirt so hopefully I will get to try it today. Just because you mentioned it, how much would a ported intake manifold run and how much would I benefit from having it rather than just the stock one? Thanks for the replies... I never would have thought about J-B Weld and the dealership told me the part was no good and it would cost $350 for a new one and I don't have near that much saved up for this repair.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Many of us have repaired small pits in the LIM with epoxy; personally, I would not try to repair a crater that big.

If you DO try to fix it, make sure you clean that hole real nice, like a rotary wire brush on a drill...gotta get all the "powdery" aluminum oxide out before the epoxy will stick.

If you do decide to replace the LIM (I would), you can get a good one from any of the many 3800-based forums (or from the parts man himself, Ed Morad) for some $50 to $60 shipped.

Hand-ported LIM is typically going to run you the same $ for the part, plus say $75-$100 in labor (depending what all you get done to it).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I looked at the pics again and i would repair with jb weld if it were mine, and i was tight on money. getting it clean is really important, and i usually apply it with a razor blade so minimal sanding is required. just bring it in out of the cold and let it get good and hard before sanding and putting back together ;)

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
I'd let the one I have go for $80 shipped. Please let me know if you'd like pics. As far as how much of a gain you'd get. It's noticable in feeling. I believe Andrew quantified it with comparisons of volumetric efficiency.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$80 shipped sounds awesome... I would like to see pics since you are offering. I got to sanding and prepping mine today to see if I could repair with J-B Weld and found that it is more damaged than it looked like. So I am going to be looking to buy a new one and for that price might as well go ported :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LIM not in good shape

got to cleaning up the "small" pit and it is not so small anymore now that all the material is cleaned out... what a mess

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That LIM looks nice. Was it machine ported or done by hand? Also does it have the stock EGR pipe in it still? If you are still serious about selling it for $80 shipped I would like to take you up on that offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.