3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the supercharged L67 and was told by a repair shop that the correct LIM gasket kit was MS4470, but this looks to be the 1st generation design, or it is the wrong picture.

I have also read that MS958091 is the correct part

However, every forum recommends the aluminum gaskets and I think the FELPRO part is MS98014T (shown below). Also, the tech at the repair shop told me the GM kit would come with new bolts because GM changed them as well. I see the GM kit part number is 89017825 but I cannot find a picture. Regardless, the tech said GM issued new bolts, but he was going to use the MS4470 kit which isn't OE and does not include bolts.

So here are my questions: (Thanks in advance)
1. What is the correct LIM gasket part number? (yes I want the aluminum version)
2. Are the old bolts fine or were new bolts issued?
3. Is 11 lb ft still the correct torque for the LIM bolts when using aluminum gaskets?
4. Besides the LIM gasket, why does each pictured kit include a different number of o-rings and other gaskets?
5. Is P/N MS95744 the correct supercharged UIM to LIM gasket (below)?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Those aluminum gaskets from ZZP are awesome! I just got mine last week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thread Resurrection

Hi all...I'm a new member here. I found your forum while I was serching for info on a similar topic to the OP of this thread.

I am in the middle of replacing the UIM and LIM gaskets. I have completed the tear down, and am cleaning up my mounting surfaces. Now as I look at the contents of the gasket set I purchased, I see lots of O-rings and stuff I don't recall taking off. I bought the Fel-Pro MS98014T from O'reilly auto parts.

I know where the large gasket goes and the 2 orange end pieces. I'm going to assume the 6 small o-rings are for my fuel injectors??? The oblong cardboard gasket looks like it might go around my thermostat...Where do the big o-rings and the little blue ribbed tube thingy go???? I appreciate any help anyone can give me here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I know for sure you are right about the oblong one being for the thermostat and the 6 small ones I am pretty sure go to the fuel injectors where they contact the LIM. As for the other O-rings I think some might be for the PCV valve installation and possibly for where the brake booster vacuum hose connects to the UIM. It's always a good idea to replace all the O-rings regardless of age just to ensure a good seal. I am not sure off the top of my head what that small blue ribbed tube thing is for though. I bought all my gaskets piece by piece from different places so I didn't get a lot of those. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bmonty72 - how long did the tear down take you? I have yet to replace my intake gaskets but will need to soon since my car is due for an emissions test.

Also, what book or program did you use to help with this replacement? I have the GM eSI program available to me, and wanted to know if you used that and if there were any hang ups in the process laid out in eSI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey George. I bought a 1 month subscription to Mitchell 1 repair manual. Mitchell 1 The First Choice of Automotive Professionals

I also was able to access the Chilton manual through my public library's website. I'm a firefighter and have a small amount of mechanical aptitude, but this is by far the most "in-depth" repair I have attempted on my own. I started this morning around 10:00 and stopped around 3:30 this afternoon. I've gotten the lower manifold off...I needed more carb parts cleaner and could not get it and be back before my kids got home from school...lol.

The biggest problem I seemed to have was not knowing what everything is called. The manual would say to remove the "7th fetzer valve" and I would have to try to figure out what that was by knowing what it wasn't. I could have really used a nicey labeled engine diagram. The manuals I used had some close up detailed drawings of bolt tightening sequence, but no "Big Picture" that shows this is this and that is that. I hope re-assembly goes as smoothly tomorrow!!!!:icon_lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha Fetzer Valve - gotta love Fletch. What did you use to bleed the fuel pressure? You've rekindled my motivation, and I am going to start the UIM and LIM gasket replacement tomorrow! Hopefully I am done in time for Sunday Night football.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Hey guys... here's the breakdown and a little more understanding of the designs.

Taken from a different post of mine:
A question was asked and I figured I'd toss this out in the open as well for general info to all.

When ordering LIM gaskets on the 3800, there are two listings.
First design w/o locating pins
Second design with locating pins

Soooo what's a locating pin right? On the second design there are two rubber pins on the rubber end seals of the LIM gasket set. 96-97 year engine blocks are technically are the first design w/o pins. 98+ are second design blocks. The difference is not worthy of having two different sets of gaskets. IMO the second design should have superceded the first and only one version should be available as the pins and their function is minimal at best.

96-97 engine block. Look at the top and bottom of the picture at the block. See the solid line of the block from head to head. That's the first design w/o any holes for locating pins to sit into.

98+ engine block. Look at the left and right ends of the block. See the two holes on each end. These are where the locating pins sit into.

When putting second design gaskets on a 96-97 block the pins simply lay over the side and still do the job of holding the gasket in place before the LIM is put back on.
So the blue ribbed gaskets are the first design gasket end seals. The orange ones with the pins are the second design. The extra couple 1"ish o-rings are for the coolant elbows. However I'd suggest replacing the entire elbows since they cost about $4 for new ones and they do break down over time. New bolts don't come with the GM gaskets. Make sure you clean then and use a sealant with teflon/PTFE on them to keep any fluids from seeping up the threads. (LIM bolts only)

ESI will be good for stuff, however I like to torque the aluminum LIM's to 15ft lbs (never looked for a revised spec within ESI). ESI will also have you doing a bit of extra work that you might not otherwise need to do.

Basics the way I do it is:
Drain coolant
Disconnect battery
Pull TB and accordian air tube out of the way
Remove alt
Remove alt bracket
Pull fuel rails and EGR bracket
Pull UIM
Pull EGr tube and check it at the LIM connector for leaks (90% will have a small crack that's only visible when held up to light.)
Pull LIM
Clean and reassemble.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awesome!! Thank you for the pics and info! I will check my EGR tube. I have drained my coolant and will do a flush and fill after this is all complete. I am going to change my oil too. A friend of mine, that is a free-lance mechanic on the side, suggested I put some cheap oil in at first. He then suggested I change again . The idea is that if any coolant spilled into the block, the second oil change would flush it out before the coolant crystallized and damaged valves or cylinders. Does this sound excessive to anyone? Or does it make sense? I was careful when I pulled the LIM off of the block, but I can't guarantee that no coolant spilled into the block....

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
A second change on a LIM gasket swap is excessive unless you know that you spilled a good bit of coolant down there.

I run the car for a couple minutes and top off the coolant, then drain the oil and do the change. This does the same as what your buddy suggests, without the extra oil change. However for an extra $15 it's solid advice also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Crap!

Time for a laugh!

So I take everything apart on the UIM and LIM without a problem. LIM gaskets go in, tighten LIM to GM specs and bolt sequence. Move to UIM, place gasket and tighten every single bolt according to sequence and torque (so I thought). Come to find I snapped every single head of the UIM bolts. Torque wrench was set to 7.5 ft lbs (89 in/lbs) and I thought man I am really cranking these, but having never done this before I thought the tool would trip, well it felt like the wrench clicked and reach the torque setting, but what was actually happening was the bolts were breaking.

Question, is the UIM threaded in a portion of the bolt holes or are the threads only in the LIM, and the bolt heads hold the UIM to the LIM? Below is a picture of the broken bolts in the thread holes.

How the hell do I get the broken bolts out of the LIM?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
there are no threads in the uim. take any bolts that arent broken out and you should be able to pull the uim right up. it looks like they broke right at the head of the bolt so once the uim is off you should be able to put vice grips on them and un screw them

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you clean out the threads with "Q-tips" and a solvent (brake cleaner)
before replacing LIM & S/C?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Trying to get info before starting job. I have a 2001 Bonneville SSEI supercharged and have coolant all over Base of supercharger, Planning to replace all gaskets,O'rings, ellbows etc. but can't find instructions on removing supercharger, and torque sequence and specs for reinstalling, don't want to break anything or have leaks when done, any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Trying to get info before starting job. I have a 2001 Bonneville SSEI supercharged and have coolant all over Base of supercharger, Planning to replace all gaskets,O'rings, ellbows etc. but can't find instructions on removing supercharger, and torque sequence and specs for reinstalling, don't want to break anything or have leaks when done, any help much appreciated.
I suggest starting a new thread on this, the thread you responded to was from 2010...
Let this video load while you do that, it should be quite helpful.
http://www.cpaclubgp.com/misc/lim-gasket.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Haha Fetzer Valve - gotta love Fletch. What did you use to bleed the fuel pressure? You've rekindled my motivation, and I am going to start the UIM and LIM gasket replacement tomorrow! Hopefully I am done in time for Sunday Night football.
Just wondering how you made out George. I did mine and now it won't start.:icon_mad:

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Just wondering how you made out George. I did mine and now it won't start.:icon_mad:
You may want to start a new thread, this one is like 6 years old, I doubt the original poster is around anymore.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts