3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok big thank you to Dyno Brian for shedding a lil light on my problem with my 2008 3800NA series 3 "L26"

i wana up my HP on my 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix 3800NA Series 3 but i gotta find a way after i get all my parts together as to how im going to get around the tuning issue's of the New style CanBus system Dyno Brian says " just because HP Tuners or EFI Live does not have support for the car does not mean you do not have a way of tuning it." is probably the best news I have Heard since i started looking into this days ago.

What I don't Know is how or any other things other then the obvious small stuff plugs, wires, intake, Exhaust, chipping as to get more HP for my Ride.

so if anyone knows as to how to go about surpassing the tuning issue or anything else i can do to safely mod my car's HP please let me know

Thanks.

Myers1985

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Read my reply on your other thread, I'm pretty sure that is how it is done. As for mods, you can do anything to your 08 that you can do to an 04-05. Just look at mods for them. With you car being NA, your best way to add power will be a top swap. Just be really careful not to get too crazy with it. Reffer to this thead: ttp://www.3800pro.com/forum/newbie-zone/39010-something-all-newbies-should-read.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah I was Looking at that thread that u posted on the other link Scuba T

this is what I had Planed On doing for my Top Swap
( Parts List )

Heads - from SC Motor
Head Bolts - OEM replacements or Studs
Thread sealer -
Head Gaskets
Rocker Bolts - same reason as head Bolts
Valve Cover Gaskets
Harmonic Balancer - from SC motor
Tension-er - for SC Belt
Idlers- for SC Belt/ requires bolts from L26/L36
Coil Pack Bracket
Lower Intake Manifold- from SC Motor
Fuel Rail - Return-Less
Fuel Injectors - SC Injectors or better
SC- gen 3 or 5
SC- Gasket
SC- Belt
Throttle Body- from SC motor
Throttle Body Gasket
Colder Thermostat- 180* or better
1 step Cooler Spark Plugs - Al103 or Al104
Fluids
Oil Filter
Tuned PCM ? - as to how idk yet
Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

if u see any problems or any thing im missing please let me know

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
This wont work for you but has a complete list of what's needed for a L36 swap.

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/1017-L36-Supercharger-Kit.

My recommendations... GenV, 42lb Lucas injectors, ARP head studs & Comp rocker bolts instead of OEM TTY ones, headers or downpipe at the minimum should be on your list.

Now let's talk trans.... In stock form their far from robust. Putting a SC on a non HD trans is like running around a war zone with the pin pulled out of a grenade, it's all fine and dandy but you know what can happen. Upgrading to the HD diff & cover (& pass side axle) will help a bit, without tearing into the trans a torque converter swap to a 245mm unit will add the largest, simplest gain to the lifespan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had plans on replacing the transmission, I know its just another thing thats going to go if I don't. but is it possible to upgrade to the tap shift or the automatic with + - speed shift ?
and should I have the Transmission swapped first before i do the top Swap seeing how this is my daily Driver ?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I had plans on replacing the transmission, I know its just another thing thats going to go if I don't. but is it possible to upgrade to the tap shift or the automatic with + - speed shift ?
and should I have the Transmission swapped first before i do the top Swap seeing how this is my daily Driver ?
The trans will hold for awhile with the top swap, just don't be too crazy on it. It would not be necessary to do it before. Also listen to Chris he knows what he is talking about. Headers/exhaust are a must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts