3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread mainly to help any others that may have had this problem.

A while back my 96' Park Ave started getting water in my trunk, and then floorboard, it got so bad I had to get a huge tarp and cover the car till I could find the problem, because every time it would rain I;d get like 2 inches in the floorboards.
Come to find out the gasket, seal or whatever that goes around the tail-lights will harden & start to leak over time.
I've not been able to find a replacement gasket that goes around the tail light housing, but I did figure out where to put some silicone to stop it, I'll get some pics of that ASAP, I really need to redo my silicone job, as I can see a few other areas that could use a little silicone as well.

I will keep trying to find the proper seal for those, if anybody knows the part I am talking about, or has had the same issue before, then please feel free to share your experience.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well that was easy to find, the part I found says C Body, it is listed for a 96 PA Ultra, but that should not matter since that does not change the body style.

Left Side Tail Lamp Seal

SEAL. Tail Lamp for 1996 Buick Park AvenueULTRA (16513351)

Right Side Tail Lamp Seal
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/SEAL-Tail-Lamp/2822972/16513352.html

It will be nice to eventually fix this the proper way, then again 64.00 + shipping, vs a 2.00 tube of clear silicone, I dunno, lol

Here is a pic of the area, part 26 is the one, but it seems as if the two are different, since they vost different amounts.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update.

I found water in my trunk again, and I noticed the silicone I used earlier had failed to hold, so I took my brake light assembly out, dried it off, and found where the water was passing through, it appears to have been wicking through the brake light gaskets, the big ones that go around the left and right brake light areas.

I used some RTV to seal where I think the water passed through to get to those inner gaskets, it should hold till I can afford to replace those.
If you ever have moist floor boards, I'd inspect these seals first, as it seems they fail on others as well from some research..

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My car was doing the same thing years ago. My trunk was getting water in it because the spoiler was leaking where it bolts to the trunk. The replacement seals were too expensive so I just used silicone. Hasn't leaked since. I had a seperate problem with water in the floorboard. It was under the plastic piece where the windshield wipers are. There was a rubber seal that was out of place. Put it back where it was suposed to be and problem solved.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car was doing the same thing years ago. My trunk was getting water in it because the spoiler was leaking where it bolts to the trunk. The replacement seals were too expensive so I just used silicone. Hasn't leaked since. I had a seperate problem with water in the floorboard. It was under the plastic piece where the windshield wipers are. There was a rubber seal that was out of place. Put it back where it was suposed to be and problem solved.
Mine started like 2 years ago, it took me forever to figure out where it was leaking, so I am sure my floorboards are rusting by now. :/
At one point I started covering my car with a giant tarp, because I did not know what else to do.
Hopefully they hold out for a while once I silicone them, I used RTV cause it is all I had at the time.
The replacement seals I need are expensive as well, like 75.00 total just for the two that go around the brake light areas, and the side seals I'm sure cost a good 20.00 or more each, not to mention the 12 little pads that go onto each bolt.

Hmmm, now you have me wondering about the moisture I recently noticed in my driver side front floorboard, I may take the part you are talking about off and inspect it, because the piece is due a cleaning so rain and washer fluid can pass through there better.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
No problem. If you are still getting water in your trunk I would check the spoiler. There are little rubber seal between the trunk lid and the spoiler. You can get to the bolts on the inside of the trunk lid. My trunk has so much water in it the spair tire was completely covered.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I cannot find the little washer gaskets for each of the 12 brake light assembly bolts, so I'll just use some silicone around each when I do the repair here soon.

I'll use clear silicone and fix the seals for part 21, and for part 26, parts are in the diagram.
They want 117.00 plush shipping to replace those gaskets on each side.. :icon_eek:

I should have never looked into my brake lamp assembly, I had a tag light not working, and was too lazy to fix it, now I have found these. :/
http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/nohywh194afi.html
Not meaning to get off topic, but I WANT those, and this x5 for my 4 brake lights, and upper brake light, lol
http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/hpx11whledbu.html

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I used silicone for my spoiler, havent had any problems.

Working on your car becomes addicting. You always want something different or better. Something faster, or louder. Then when you get fast enought to start breaking stuff, you have to fix it. It is a never ending process. :icon_lol:

Reactions: WilliamE

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used silicone for my spoiler, havent had any problems.

Working on your car becomes addicting. You always want something different or better. Something faster, or louder. Then when you get fast enought to start breaking stuff, you have to fix it. It is a never ending process. :icon_lol:
Good to hear!

And you are very right, I am addicted to many things, building high end PC's, FPS Gaming/Admin'n, and anything electronic, including hi-fi audio, and now working on my car, I almost feel like I subconsciously look for more stuff to fix, if only I had a few grand to spend, I already have a list!
And it involves a bit of work, and maybe an engine/tranny swap to start.. :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm starting to think my car hates me, lol

I used a lil RTV that I had when I took the beak light housing out a while back, I kind of figured it was not enough, since I had only a little to use.
Well today I open the trunk and there is about and 2 inches in the corner, had to take out the spare, etc...
There was also water inside the brake housing itself, up under the left and right break bulb area.
Luckily I do not have the carpet and stuff in there anymore, I got rid of it a long time ago because the previous owner transported a can of paint in the back, the lid was not so tight on there, and so the trunk mat and all were ruined.

I think I may have to break down and replace these with the OE GM parts, I will try to take the brake light housing out once more when I get a big tube of silicone, if that does not work I'll have no chose but to order the OE seals, as I have had enough with water getting in there..

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wanted to update the thread.

I recently bought the trunk pull down motor to fix the broken one, and when I did the trunk went down about an inch more almost, now the water does not ever get in through the break light housing, I still have the break light seal for both sides, and will eventually replace the old seals, I would have sent them back since the trunk no longer leaks, but I have had them over 30 days..

So I am pretty sure the trunk being raised a little kept the trunk seal that goes around the trunk was not sealing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts