3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

@dezldave961 mentioned 3800pro on turbobuick yesterday which sparked some old memories. I didn't realize this place was still operational! Anyway, I'm Jon, and I'm happy to be here! I've been a Buick fanatic my whole life, but I quickly found out (after already buying my dream car) that I'm not rich enough to modify a GN with any sort of dignity. Therefore, I made some compromises, and ended up with a Buick powered Chevy to fulfill my need to tinker.

I bought this 2002 Camaro off of my best friend's dad for next to nothing. He daily drove it all over northern Illinois since it was brand new, and the body shows it! It has no options at all except for rear defrost. The story goes that this car was only on the lot so that ads could say "Camaros starting at $19,999!" or something like that. It has manual windows, locks, and transmission. The stereo had the basic 4 speaker package. Seats are cloth, the roof is a hard top, and there is no cruise control.

I actually don't really care for F-bodies. If this car didn't hold a lot of sentimental value I would have passed on it due to rust. I would never have even looked at it if it wasn't a stick shift with black paint, but the stars aligned. I guess I was meant to have this car. I remember riding in it when it was brand new. I was only in second grade at the time, so I thought this car was the baddest thing you could buy. :LOL:
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Land vehicle

You don't think a stock NA 3800 is going to fulfil my speed disease when I have a GN in the garage though, do you? I almost felt bad tearing such a quiet and smooth running car apart, but I think I only drove in stock form for a about two weeks. Since then, there have been a lot of transformations and broken parts.
Vehicle Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Hood

Car Gear shift Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car

Slope Rectangle Font Line Material property

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive parking light

This car is a pile of crap, and I like it that way. The Grand National is my show winner that I cruise around and get thumbs up in just for existing. This Camaro is the rude, crude, cheap, try-hard, wannabe that I can scratch up, beat on, put away wet, and not feel an ounce of remorse. It's way more fun to drive than the GN, but gets half the attention. :LOL:

The car as of today has a Chinese 67mm turbo pushing 10psi through an ebay front-mounted intercooler. It's controlled by a Precision PW40 wastegate and Turbonetics manual boost controller. The solenoid for my electric controller will be wired up this winter. The car runs on E85 via 80# injectors, an AEM pump, and a tune from Dyno Brian. Our session was limited by the stock valve springs floating at 10 psi, but I have LS6 springs in it to stabilize everything for now. Maybe I'll crank the boost up a bit in the spring.

The reason I haven't done done much else to the engine since then is because nothing else was up to the task. Floors and frame channels needed to be repaired, subframe connectors were welded in, the stock wheels sucked, the suspension handles the car like a truck, and worst of all is that weak T5 I insisted on having. The stick makes the car fun to drive, but the T5 was never meant to handle my goals. Being as stubborn as I am, I decided to pioneer my way to a stronger 5-speed instead of taking the easy automatic way out.
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Motor vehicle Asphalt

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tread

Custom (by me!) shifter handle. :p It works and fits the console great though
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Custom bulkhead for the hydraulics.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Hood

Anyway, this is already a long intro. I love 3.8s, and I don't plan to give up on the platform. The car is awesome to drive with boost and the TKX. I think it will be even better with the ST5 cam I have in the basement. :devilish: Good night 10-bolt!

·
Administrator
1,036 Posts
Welcome... also, glad I've been following your post on the GN site, cuz I'm not reading all that. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Quick86

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome back. The site is a little slow, but not dead. I love both the rides. Two totally different animals, but looks like alot of fun. You have the right idea. Keep the GN stock & soup up & beat up the Camaro. I am a little jealous of the GN always wanted one myself

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome back. The site is a little slow, but not dead. I love both the rides. Two totally different animals, but looks like alot of fun. You have the right idea. Keep the GN stock & soup up & beat up the Camaro. I am a little jealous of the GN always wanted one myself
Thank you! I'm glad some people get it. Even a lot of my friends think I'm dumb that I have a GN but choose to play with a V6 Camaro instead. lol I know the high school version of myself would be disappointed to know what I've become, but high school me also had no concept of money or the mechanical nightmare that is a Grand National. I had been saying this long before Junkyard Digs, but he definitely spread it to the masses. The Grand National is the definition of "don't meet your heroes!"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thank you! I'm glad some people get it. Even a lot of my friends think I'm dumb that I have a GN but choose to play with a V6 Camaro instead. lol I know the high school version of myself would be disappointed to know what I've become, but high school me also had no concept of money or the mechanical nightmare that is a Grand National. I had been saying this long before Junkyard Digs, but he definitely spread it to the masses. The Grand National is the definition of "don't meet your heroes!"
It makes sense, the GN is a collectors item and is worth more than that Camaro ever will be especially in stock form. I had the opportunity to buy one cheap that someone inherited when I was in high school, but by the time I came up with the money he figured out what the car was. I guess it was for the better from some of the stories I've heard, but always wonder what could have been

1 - 6 of 6 Posts