3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some helpful input on a L67 swap I’m currently working on to a rwd classic car.

I have a complete 96 Supercharged Riviera donor vehicle and also an 02 firebird drivetrain engine,trans,pcm w/ full harness & column from a 3800 car.

I plan on installing the L67 engine with the 4l60e firebird transmission in the project vehicle. I’m trying to figure out the wiring and pcm controls portion of the project. I’m debating on which harness and pcm to use? The 96 Riv harness has the correct tuning for the supercharger, but lacks the additional upstream 02 sensor or the longitudinal installation and has wire and program for a 4T60 transaxle.

The 02 camaro harness has the extra o2 sensor and correct trans transmission connection, but has different injector connectors and no wires or program for a boost controller. Any thoughts of which combination would work the best and why so? I’m thinking I’ll have to send the pcm out for reprogrammed either way.

I’m leaning toward the 96 harness if they could change the configuration of the downstream o2 connection to read as an upstream? It’s a 65 vehicle, so I don’t need a catalyst or monitor function. I’m unsure if the 02 transmission connection can be adapted for the older harness and pcm.

thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
Use the RWD harness, adapt the injector plugs for the L67 style, and ignore/delete the solenoid on the bypass (leave bottom port open and delete code in tune, it's just for traction control-type things in the original pcm). You may want to try finding a 1998 F-body harness setup for cable throttle, and such.

This is more or less how I'll be setting up my RWD custom build in the near future.

ZZP and others will be able to build you a tune for the F-body pcm without much trouble, especially if you're just leaving the engine fairly stock. You'll just want to add an aftermarket boost gauge, if you want to see it for fun (or an aftermarket sending unit for computer logging).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave, which port are you referring to leaving open? How would the pcm manage boost without the pwm bleed? I also thought about repurposing a different circuit that has pwm control, like a purge valve etc. that will not be used on this car.

I have both the drive by wire and cable throttle body setups. I don’t know if it’s possible to convert the 02 throttle body back to a cable setup thru programming? Not sure what benefits if any I would get using a mechanical linkage over electronic? It would think different if the trans had a tv cable.

Thanks for your help and feedback , Ed

·
Super Moderator
647 Posts
The valve is vacuum actuated via the top port, based on throttle demand. The solenoid is just for traction control purposes to counteract it from the bottom when the pcm goes into a nanny mode. (Just went thru this explanation in a few other posts.)

Cable is better for swaps to stay simple and more universal. The 99-02 F-body cars went electronic, but you can just program it as a 98. The 96 computers were not fully developed into the versatile format as 98+ ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts