3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Too many cars to list
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to the 3800 world. A bit about myself: Active duty military for almost 20 years as a naval engineer, love everything with an engine in it. Have too many projects to mention and a big garage with lots of toys and tools.

Here we go: I've been reading and researching for a few weeks now. But all of these puzzles are missing a piece here and there.

The donor: 2000 Grand Prix GTP with 30k miles that was rear ended and totaled. Yes, it was a grandma's car. The body is destroyed but the drive train is intact.:cool:

The victim for this mad experiment: a 1969 C3 Corvette with random body parts from later years C3s. ( Don't ask. GOT IT FOR FREE) It is an absolute piece. I am not looking to restore it. That would be way too much money that I don't have. Just want to get it running rat rod/semi resto-mod style.

The idea: I have ready on hand a TH400 that come with the 'vette, a WC T5 out of a foxbody mustang and an AW4 from a 98 cherokee. So, RWD SWAP BABY:geek:

The question: wich one of these transmissions will be the easiest to swap an L67 to? For the automatics: what would be the CORRECT flex plate/torque converter/starter combination? For the ford T5: bell housing/flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/pilot bearing/starter?

I will post pictures as soon as I start pulling the engine out and start collecting all the mistery pieces. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hello all, I am new to the 3800 world. A bit about myself: Active duty military for almost 20 years as a naval engineer, love everything with an engine in it. Have too many projects to mention and a big garage with lots of toys and tools.

Here we go: I've been reading and researching for a few weeks now. But all of these puzzles are missing a piece here and there.

The donor: 2000 Grand Prix GTP with 30k miles that was rear ended and totaled. Yes, it was a grandma's car. The body is destroyed but the drive train is intact.:cool:

The victim for this mad experiment: a 1969 C3 Corvette with random body parts from later years C3s. ( Don't ask. GOT IT FOR FREE) It is an absolute piece. I am not looking to restore it. That would be way too much money that I don't have. Just want to get it running rat rod/semi resto-mod style.

The idea: I have ready on hand a TH400 that come with the 'vette, a WC T5 out of a foxbody mustang and an AW4 from a 98 cherokee. So, RWD SWAP BABY:geek:

The question: wich one of these transmissions will be the easiest to swap an L67 to? For the automatics: what would be the CORRECT flex plate/torque converter/starter combination? For the ford T5: bell housing/flywheel/clutch/pressure plate/pilot bearing/starter?

I will post pictures as soon as I start pulling the engine out and start collecting all the mistery pieces. Thank you in advance.
You won't use the Ford bellhousing. What you'll want is a 94-95 S10 4-cyl bellhousing. This will give you the 3800 bell pattern, Ford trans pattern, and clock the trans in an upright position. Flywheel and clutch will come from a 3800 Camaro, but you will want the flywheel to be mirror balanced to the GTP flex plate. IIRC the pilot bushing will be from a Camaro but needs to be drilled bigger. The Mustang release bearing and ford should work.

For the TH400, you just buy the adapter kit. There is a cheap one that adapts the stock converter to the trans with a very thin adapter plate. There's also this GMC 3800 Series V6 Engine to Chevy Automatic Transmission GM401 - PATC - TransmissionCenter.net which allows you to run much more common flex plates and converters. I'd recommend the second one if you want to make decent power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts