3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an L36 in my '01 Impala LS, and was wondering what the performance potential is for this engine.

My limitations: family, several horses, 2001 Impala LS with payment, Texas state emissions/inspection that doesn't exactly like folks who swap engines.

I'd like to supercharge this car with the L36. Was wondering where the engine's weaknesses are... what I need to do to remedy those weaknesses... and what limitations exist for this engine relative to the L67/L32.

Obviously, I don't want to spend $x,000 to supercharge this car only to blow the engine 2 years later when toying with another car.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
What kind of SC are you planning to use? You don't really have to worry about blowing the engine up if you get a CSC kit or something of the like, you're tranny would go before anything. If you're planning on going with an M90 like I was at one point, then you'll need a lot of other things to go with it, and you would have to worry about blowing the motor. The performance potential of the L36 is only limited by your wallet. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
99GT2dr said:
What kind of SC are you planning to use? You don't really have to worry about blowing the engine up if you get a CSC kit or something of the like, you're tranny would go before anything. If you're planning on going with an M90 like I was at one point, then you'll need a lot of other things to go with it, and you would have to worry about blowing the motor. The performance potential of the L36 is only limited by your wallet. ;)
Seems like most folks are going with the Novi 2000. I don't know about that unit vice the M90... but it looks like the Novi cars are fairly well up in the rankings as listed on this site... i.e., Bridgett Meekhof's car on STOCK heads looks like it isn't doing too badly.

A Novi 2000 would probably be adequate... with some sort of intercooling setup for additional gains.

·
Registered
238 Posts
99GT2dr said:
zzp will be coming out with an M90 L36 kit in about a month, so far they got someone to run 14.3 with just the conversion kit, like gt2dr said the tranny will be first usually, but you can get the HD coversion kit form intense for about a grand, there's also the turbo kits, ranging from 2500 up 4500, let us know how fast you want to go so we can have a better idea on what to tell you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8-Ur-Honda said:
zzp will be coming out with an M90 L36 kit in about a month, so far they got someone to run 14.3 with just the conversion kit, like gt2dr said the tranny will be first usually, but you can get the HD coversion kit form intense for about a grand, there's also the turbo kits, ranging from 2500 up 4500, let us know how fast you want to go so we can have a better idea on what to tell you.
Thank you for your reply.

Are you saying a supercharged L36 is only getting into the low 14s? Am I understanding you?

That seems kinda slow. I see some L-36 powered cars in the 11s on this site. Maybe Scott was right when he told me only a handful of the W-body cars ever see 12s and 11s...

My goal is 11.5 in the quarter mile. Prefer to go with a supercharger because I don't want turbo lag. I don't race on the highway, so a turbo isn't what I need, but want to win races between the lights.

That's what I want... what do you suggest?

Thank you,
Mike

·
Registered
238 Posts
mlewis73 said:

Are you saying a supercharged L36 is only getting into the low 14s? Am I understanding you?

That seems kinda slow. I see some L-36 powered cars in the 11s on this site. Maybe Scott was right when he told me only a handful of the W-body cars ever see 12s and 11s...

My goal is 11.5 in the quarter mile. Prefer to go with a supercharger because I don't want turbo lag. I don't race on the highway, so a turbo isn't what I need, but want to win races between the lights.

Thank you,
Mike
Keep in mind that 14.3 was with no other mods just the M90 kit, if you want more power go with a CSC kit which can be found on www.stattama.com, in regaurds to the turbo, with the advances made with turbos going with a right size turbo you wont experience much a lag at all, Matt M from ZZP says boost comes on as soon as u step on it, maybe some of the other turbo guys can come in and set this man straight :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
mlewis73 said:

Thank you,
Mike
The M90 kit is going to be less than $1000. BerryfastGT (ZZP's new employee with the m90 test vechile) only had the m90 kit, underdrive pulley and ZZP log style fuel rails. Kept stock fuel injecotors, heads, DP, intake (this is a 97 BTW), and PCM. not bad. Also, the car had a 2.24 60' so with a good launch, CAI, and DP youre looking at 13s.

11.5 in a GT will be very hard with a limited budget. Youd definatly need to upgrade your tranny once you start making some power. If youve ever seen a CSC dyno youd see that they keep pulling. I know Pector's dyno looked like that thing would never stop pulling. It never once dipped down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
mlewis73 said:

Thank you,
Mike

A properly sized turbo with a manual boost controller will give you 0 lag. On my setup I have more than enough power off the line to light up the tires, and I don't even need to go full throttle. Just a half throttle stab will give me boost enough to spin them. IMO a turbo is the way to go. You could get to 11.5 with a mild cam and about 15psi of boost, and it would be very streetable. Stattama is who I went to for mine, and they have the 2 fastest street L36 turbo cars out there right now.

Torque does win races, but you need to consider that most 11 second cars on street tires/pump gas are mid 12 second cars. Torque off the line is a good thing at the track with a prepped surface, and slicks. But it can be just the opposite on the street where you have radial tires, and a bumpy road.

·
Registered
7 Posts
mlewis73 said:

Thank you,
Mike
A CSC Novi 2000 will do that but get ready to spend some money.

It sound like you just want to street race, and you don't need to go 11.5 to street race. Go get some nitrous and race all you want

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SuperMonte said:
A CSC Novi 2000 will do that but get ready to spend some money.

It sound like you just want to street race, and you don't need to go 11.5 to street race. Go get some nitrous and race all you want
Believe it or not... I'm actually afraid to use nitrous.

Saw a vid of a car that burned up rather quickly due to a nitrous malfunction. Not gonna take that risk on my daily driver... I still owe on it! Besides, nitrous is so fake... I mean... why add nitrous when you can add real muscle?

Mike

·
Registered
238 Posts
mlewis73 said:
Believe it or not... I'm actually afraid to use nitrous.

Saw a vid of a car that burned up rather quickly due to a nitrous malfunction. Not gonna take that risk on my daily driver... I still owe on it! Besides, nitrous is so fake... I mean... why add nitrous when you can add real muscle?

Mike
i agree with you on the nitrous, using nitrous in my opinion is cheating, anyway now what it comes down to is wether you want a supercharger or turbo, but from what i have seen it takes a little more work to get a CSC down into the tweleves vs using a stattama turbo kit, but when it comes down to it you cant go wrong with either. :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
mlewis73 said:
nitrous is so fake... I mean... why add nitrous when you can add real muscle?
so a turbo or SC is real muscle? i always thought muscle was higher displacement cammed motors, not blown motors :rolleyes:

As for nitrous being fake, what qualifies it as fake? it still produdes the same power as a SC or turbo, you just have to refill it, like gas. Why do people hate on nitrous, because its cheaper than a full blown SC or turbo kit and people get good times out of it? Most people who say nitrous is fake dont really have a reason not to like it, theyre just repeating what other people have said and dont really have a reason. Youd have better streetablility out of a nitrous car then you would someone running the same times without nitrous. Go ride in a nitrous car, im sure that would change your mind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Youd have better streetablility out of a nitrous car then you would someone running the same times without nitrous.
I'm gonna have to disagree here. I know you plan on getting a nitrous setup (that is what you're planning now right?), so you're a little biased towards NX, but in now way can nitrous make a car more "steetable". I've seen the main and rod bearings out of a car running nitrous, after the engine was blown up. I've never seen bearings so bad before, and the crank was [email protected]#ed up just as bad. Of course, that was with a rather large shot, 150 iirc, but the car was set up to handle it. Nitrous will accelerate bearing wear and/or spin bearings because it spins the motor pretty fast and heats it up pretty good. You WILL NOT get 150k + miles out of a nitrous'd engine, if even that, therefore not streetable to me.

As for nitrous being fake, what qualifies it as fake?
Don't get me wrong now, if I were to run against a stock GT with a 75 shot, i'd get my ass handed to me, no doubt. What qualifies it as "fake" to me, is that if on some particular day, that GT didn't have his bottle filled, or forgot to heat the bottle up, he's gonna get spanked. Fake is not being able to run the times you do at the track at any given time on the street. Like if someone were to gut their entire ride, drop the exhaust, run w/no belt in 10 degree weather and get a 14.5 in their car at the track, then call it a mid-14 sec. car, that's a "fake" time. Without doing all that, it's nowhere close to mid 14's, just like with an empty bottle, a nitrous'd car will run nowhere the times it would get with a full bottle.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I kind of agree with 99GT2DR as far as no2 is concerned. 99 you read my freaking mind. I couldn't have explained it better myself. Hey I like anything that makes a car go faster regardless of how. I've personally never used n02 or been in a car that has but I think it's awesome for the track. But when you're driving around town you want that power whenever you need it. Without having to push a button or flip a switch. With regards to not running the same times at the track as on the street, well the reason most people go to the track is to get the best times they can out of their car. So you do whatever you can. Track preps are a necessaty. If you make good times at the track your car will still be bad ass on the street just a little more tame that's all.
Anyway this debate can go on forever. With both sides making good points. Lets end it before people start getting upset. :mad: If you want N02 go for it and good luck. If not then run your car the way you want. Remember it's your car and you can make it as powerfull as you like, assuming you have the $

·
Registered
124 Posts
im not looking to start an agrument, i like discussing these things. To me heating up a bottle or not having it filled etc is just like if you had something wrong with your supercharger something is screwed up so you dont run the same times.

As far as the track of course people are going to be running faster than if they were on the street. Thats a dead given. Even if you dont do anything to it, you wont get the same amount of traction on the street as you would at the track and vica vera. Anyways, you shouldnt be street racing so who cares what it runs on the street ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for answering his message... pretty much what I would have said.

These are probably fighting words... but nitrous is just... well... ricey. Besides, that, I've heard of folks' bottles exploding and all kinds of safety issues.

Not for me... I have a pregnant wife, a son on the way, and a daughter to think about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
As far as the track of course people are going to be running faster than if they were on the street.
Oh yeah, I know that, what I was saying was not a DRASTIC difference between street/track times. Read: 75 shot at track gets 14.2, empty bottle gets 15.8, that's what I was talking about. I understand with track prep and all that, you'll get better times at the track, but my car is almost street trim when I run. All I do is pull headlight, pump gas w/octane booster, and air my tires to 25-26 psi, other than that there's no difference from me driving on the street, so my times won't be so different at any given time. Plus I drive a few hours to get to the track before I even run.
I don't think anyone will get upset, no need for that. I'm just voicing an opinion is all, we've all got at least one, right? :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
k0bun said:
I kind of agree with 99GT2DR as far as no2 is concerned. 99 you read my freaking mind. I couldn't have explained it better myself. Hey I like anything that makes a car go faster regardless of how. I've personally never used n02 or been in a car that has but I think it's awesome for the track. But when you're driving around town you want that power whenever you need it. Without having to push a button or flip a switch. With regards to not running the same times at the track as on the street, well the reason most people go to the track is to get the best times they can out of their car. So you do whatever you can. Track preps are a necessaty. If you make good times at the track your car will still be bad ass on the street just a little more tame that's all.
Anyway this debate can go on forever. With both sides making good points. Lets end it before people start getting upset. :mad: If you want N02 go for it and good luck. If not then run your car the way you want. Remember it's your car and you can make it as powerfull as you like, assuming you have the $
Thats exactly how i feel about no2, its not power thats availible whenever you need it, and like it was said before what happens to your 14.2 sec car when the bottle is empty, its back to being a high 15 sec car again, i personally feel its cheating because your cars performance on no2 is just that your cars performance on no2, your cars time on no2 is not how your car truly performs

·
Registered
139 Posts
when you see my taillights who cares how i beat you?

if i'm faster, no matter how i do it, your still sucking my exhaust fumes and i'm still laughing about how i beat some american muscle.

so what i'm saying is: it doesn't matter how you cross the finish line, as long as your cross it 1st. period.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts