3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, rather then asking what can be done to my limited L36, I am wondering how far the L36/L27 engines can be pushed. I have been looking into developing a highly boosted MP112/Whipple L67 project, but have lately found myself fond of an NA application for a project I would consider more luxury then performance based.

My question is, beyond any surpassable limitations, how powerful can you make the L36/L27 engine? I was thinking of an L36/L27 with the following mods and was wondering about how much power it would be pushing...

-Full Dual Exhaust w/coating
-Headers
-Wizair Intake
-LS1 Throttle Body
-Throttle Body Shield
-Ported Intake Manifold (bored?)
-Stage 3 Intense Heads
-Racing Block w/oil feads
-Overbored .020 Cylinders
-Larger Cam
-Complimenting Rocker Arms
-High-Performance Pushrods
-Forged Pistons w/coating
-Forged Connecting Rods
-Improved Bearings/Gaskets/Bolts
-Eletric Water Pump
-60 P/H Fuel Injectors
-High-Flow Mass-Air-Flow Sensor

How much HP would this car see?

Also, what are the L27 enhancements over the L36? Do the L27 run forged connecting rods? What other upgrades?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ok, I can't guess on the power of all that crap combined, but I can tell you you won't need 60 #/hr injectors, I don't even think they make 60# injectors. I'm pretty sure you can take Lucas 42.5#'s way into the 12's, which you won't get to NA anyway unless you go stroker. Also, there are no forged rods for these motors, L32 rods are as good as it gets. Broken rods are not a common thing with 3800's anyway, i'm pretty sure stock rods will be fine with clevite bearings. Dual exhaust is not worth it, I don't even think a shop could custom fab that up, and even if they could it wouldn't flow any better than a set of headers with a 3" DP anyway.

Do the L27 run forged pushrods? What other upgrades?
Umm, I might be wrong on this, but I assumed earlier you meant connecting rods. If not, no the L27 does not run forged pushrods, in no way would that EVER be necessary on a 3800. I've never heard of forged pushrods, if you can find a forged pushrod anywhere, I wanna see it. As far as I know, the only major upgrade the L27 has over the L36 is the upper intake manifold, it's aluminum instead of plastic, thus preventing warping/cracking/leaking and all that good stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Most folks I've talked to have told me to stay with the L36... I'm under the impression it can take a beating, with the correct upgraded parts (springs, etc.,) for a given application (supercharging, etc.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well if I went L36/L27 it would remain an NA motor. No Turbo or SC of any kind. I am running around in an Oldsmobile Intrigue, so a loud whine under my hood sorta takes away from the sleak luxury apperance I am trying to make (maybe not =P). I also dont like the idea of putting extra added stress on my engine components, as I would like to see a solid 150,00-200,000+ miles out of the engine without any questions if I were to invest my money into this rather then a new car/engine. I wanna make this thing into my own personal Jaguar styled car, with luxury and performance in one package, and I am wondering how much our 6 cylinder engine can be enhanced.

To be honest, now that I have been thinking of a NA application, I have begun to wonder about the LS4 engine and how far that can be pushed. I am under the impression that LS1 and LS6 aftermarket components should be compatable. However, I dont know to what extent. cams? heads? I wouldtnt think so. A huge downside of the LS4 would be the DOD, which could be disabled im sure, but I would perfer it just not be on the engine (stripped somehow?). Right now though, I wanna see what can be done with the engine I currently have. I love our low end torque :D

Are there any aftermarket intake manifolds that allow more flow and are aluminum like the L27?

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you're that serious about doing this stuff to your car/engine, you might as well email zoomer or intense or something, they can guide you in the right direction and get you where you want to be. No sense asking all of us what might work with what combination. And you add stress on your engine no matter what when you modify it to go faster, get in touch with intense or zzp, i'm sure they can answer all your "what if" questions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
99GT2dr said:
If you're that serious about doing this stuff to your car/engine, you might as well email zoomer or intense or something, they can guide you in the right direction and get you where you want to be. No sense asking all of us what might work with what combination. And you add stress on your engine no matter what when you modify it to go faster, get in touch with intense or zzp, i'm sure they can answer all your "what if" questions.
He will likely get a similar story to what I was told. A power adder is a necessity... either a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous... to get the performance he's looking for.

·
Registered
124 Posts
mlewis73 said:
He will likely get a similar story to what I was told. A power adder is a necessity... either a turbo, supercharger, or nitrous... to get the performance he's looking for.
or a really big wallet

·
Registered
91 Posts
For a guide use GM's monte intimidator a N/A 3.8 at 297hp the key is comp. ratio 13-1 which is nessesary but not what your looking for in a luxury car ,THe point it's cheaper to boost it than build a N/A screamer with quality parts .

·
Registered
30 Posts
chico said:
For a guide use GM's monte intimidator a N/A 3.8 at 297hp the key is comp. ratio 13-1 which is nessesary but not what your looking for in a luxury car ,THe point it's cheaper to boost it than build a N/A screamer with quality parts .
I wouldn't complain about 297hp... Lemme guess... it isn't an L36...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am looking more and more into the LS4 engine now. I havent found a way to purchase them by themselves unfortunately. Anyone know of any places?

I figure an LS4 engine, Intense Transmission, and a Suspension Upgrade would do me great. I will look into redoing the interior in the future as well. Should make out to be a GREAT car :)

Also, the LS4 engine still allows for upgrades like CAI, Custom Exhaust/Headers, Throttle Body, ect, but I wanna know about things like cams, heads, intake manifolds, ect. I have heard all LS types are compatible to a degree (LS1, LS2, LS6, LS4?). Well does anyone know what components.

·
Registered
91 Posts
mlewis73 said:
I wouldn't complain about 297hp... Lemme guess... it isn't an L36...
Your wrong there they built an L36 N/A concept car named the intimidator with297hp with mostly GM parts except custom headers and intake ,I'll try to find the article for you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
chico said:
Your wrong there they built an L36 N/A concept car named the intimidator with297hp with mostly GM parts except custom headers and intake ,I'll try to find the article for you.
That's sick, sick, SICK!

How many $$ did it cost them to do that? It'd be a nice way to go, admittedly, before adding a SC...

·
Registered
238 Posts
im guessing it cost a lot, because if im not mistaken that was an all wheel drive setup, that kept braking because it was to much power, and its obvious that car will never see production, too bad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts