3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if some one other than Nu-Line concepts is offering a custom lightend balancer for the L36? I know that there is a way to do that for the L67, but is there anyway we can eleminate the rotating mass for the L36? I thing this would lead to some nice power gains in conjunction to overdrive alternator and underdrive waterpump pulleys. Even more so with the eletric waterpumps now available. :cool:

·
Vendor
900 Posts
I dont know of anyone doing the L36 balancers, but here are some pics that may help you. Maybe you can take these to a machine shop and have them cut it down. Not terribly complicated with the right equiptment.

And for those that noticed in the last pic, the balancer.dampener on the right is from a 00'+ Hbody or L32. It is a better built GM harmonic balancer and nice for some of the guys making decent power. The big dogs still need to use the SFI balancer.

I dont know of anyone that still runs the lightened balancers we all tried out last year. I ended up replacing mine for the better balancer.

H body

Wbody

Good luck with removing rotating mass.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm a little bit confused now!

In the 4th pic you say the one on the right is from an H-body, but the one in the last pic looks the same and you wrote it's from a w-body...

You also said the 00+ H-body /L32 was better built, I can see it seems to have less material, do you have some numbers to compare the weight vs the w-body one?

Also, do they have the same diameter?

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I'm looking to do is drop 3lbs off the crank balancer. For every pound you drop off the balancer; you free up 2.7hp. So if you drop 3 pounds; you free up about 8.1hp! It would be nice to get one that would fit, and still be lighter. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nuline if I remember right was only dropping 8oz at the balancer. Don't know how we can pull 3 lbs from that area, would be nice though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:cool:
Timberwarp said:
Nuline if I remember right was only dropping 8oz at the balancer. Don't know how we can pull 3 lbs from that area, would be nice though.
Well, maybe not 3lbs, but at least a significant amount. Maybe a full pound then? :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts