3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up a very "INTENSE" engine right now. I had a question for anyone who has upgraded to the L32 rods.

I am upgrading the rod bolts to the ARP bolts. Upon removing the old to install the new before the install, I came across something.

The rod cap has two bolts that are held inplace once unscrewed from the rest of the rod by these two thin metal sleeves that are pressed into the cap. You can get the bolts out two ways,
1. Uscrew the bolt through the sleeve, and thread the new one back through the sleeve.
2. tap out the bolt and along will come the sleeve, install the new bolt with out the sleeve.

Ideas? :confused:

I dont imangine the sleeves to do anything major with the rod other than keeping the bolts from falling out once unbolted from the rest of the rod. BUT I am human and can be wrong. Please give me some feed back on this issue I'm faced with.

~Farnsworth~

I can take some pictures if anybody has no idea what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm having alittle trouble quite understanding what you are referring to, as the metal sleeves you talk of sound like dowels.

I haven't actually seen the L32 rods in the flesh so to speak but I imagine that the sleeve is needed.

Do the rods have a bolt and nut clamping arrangement or just a bolt thread into the rod main section?

A lot of rods have a machined dowel sleeve on each side where the bolts run through to keep the cap in alignment to the rest of the rod. Without this the cap could twist, and that would be the end of your bearing.

can you post a pic of what you talking bout maybe ?

·
Banned
189 Posts
Jason,

When converting to A.R.P. bolts, you will NOT reuse the sleeve on the stock bolt. remove sleeve and bolt, and install new bolts.

BIG JEFF

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BIIIIIIIIIIIG Jeff-

Thanks man, I was right in guessing to do that. I already removed them with the old stock bolts before installing the new ARP ones. You might tell Scott to add that on INTENSE's web site in the L32 rod info. Say something like "if upgrading to the ARP bolts the bolt sleeve is not needed." Just an idea.

I did this before dropping off the needed parts at the engine balancer today. :D

Jeff- Thanks for the phone call on the silver paint codes. I would of answered my phone but I was in a breakfast meeting with my boss and other co-workers. I got your message - and went and bought two cans tonight. Painted the block this evening...and it looks damn good!

With what OZ38 said about taking pictures of what the heck I am talking about, I can do that for you guys so others can see what I'm talking out. I'm just surprised that nobody has brought this question up before. As stupid as the question was...I thought it was a good serious one that needed some attention.

~Farnsworth~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts