3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good question, and sadly wrong forum. Your best bet is to join up over on www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum and get ahold of Dr. Jay and Willwren.
They are both running Series I L67 Bonneville SSEi's, but they have a large bit of knowledge on the L27's and Dr. Jay dug all the way into Australia to find cams, rockers, and bit more is available down under. Currently Dr. Jay is working to get a group purchase together for some reasonable prices with half-way decent shipping from down-under.
I just sold my 1994 Bonneville SLE which is/was faster than my slightly heavier modded L36 1998 SSE. Not by much, but I managed to run a 10.1 second 1/8 mile @ 74 mph. I had a CAI, NGK TR55 plugs, 180* t-stat drilled 2x 1/8", Magnaflow Wide Open 3" muffler, 2.5" exhaust, removed exhaust resonator, removed MAF screen, and 103 octane VP race fuel (a little over kill as the L27 shouldn't need this much without a cam and custom e-prom (which can be programmed by a couple guys over at www.L67swap.com ).

Hope this helps, and good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GoldmemberBonneville said:
Good question, and sadly wrong forum. Your best bet is to join up over on www.bonnevilleclub.com/forum and get ahold of Dr. Jay and Willwren.
They are both running Series I L67 Bonneville SSEi's, but they have a large bit of knowledge on the L27's and Dr. Jay dug all the way into Australia to find cams, rockers, and bit more is available down under. Currently Dr. Jay is working to get a group purchase together for some reasonable prices with half-way decent shipping from down-under.
I just sold my 1994 Bonneville SLE which is/was faster than my slightly heavier modded L36 1998 SSE. Not by much, but I managed to run a 10.1 second 1/8 mile @ 74 mph. I had a CAI, NGK TR55 plugs, 180* t-stat drilled 2x 1/8", Magnaflow Wide Open 3" muffler, 2.5" exhaust, removed exhaust resonator, removed MAF screen, and 103 octane VP race fuel (a little over kill as the L27 shouldn't need this much without a cam and custom e-prom (which can be programmed by a couple guys over at www.L67swap.com ).

Hope this helps, and good luck.
Your Bonneville is slightly faster than mine. Its been over a year, but she ran a [email protected]h. What I'd like to ask you is this: do we need a bigger down pipe like the Grand Prix cars do? I do plan on going to a 2.5 up from a 2.25 inch exhaust. Her current mods are: 9"K&N cone, Intense PCM, 180 t-stat, summit turbo muffler. Underdrive pulleys are on deck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
BFT! said:
Your Bonneville is slightly faster than mine. Its been over a year, but she ran a [email protected]h. What I'd like to ask you is this: do we need a bigger down pipe like the Grand Prix cars do? I do plan on going to a 2.5 up from a 2.25 inch exhaust. Her current mods are: 9"K&N cone, Intense PCM, 180 t-stat, summit turbo muffler. Underdrive pulleys are on deck!
Yes, the DP is crush bent rather than mandrel. He had one made up for me when he got his in, I hope to have installed in a few weeks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
smellbird said:
Yes, the DP is crush bent rather than mandrel. He had one made up for me when he got his in, I hope to have installed in a few weeks.
Coool! Now I know how to proceed! I have a Grand Prix SE with the L36 as well. When I opened up that car's exhaust with zzp ported manis and 2.5 downpipe and high flow cat all the way too the tail,(2.5). Boy did that add more power. You don't want to open it up to much. 3 inches is too much on an L36. Maybe a 3 inch downpipe, but I don't advise it. (Now to give this guy 100 bucks for his downpipe).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Alex Exhaust makes the 3" DP for $35 ($45 with installation). With shipping it will probably be $35 DP + $10-$15 shipping (they probably wouldn't ship it, but I'd be willing to help out on the shipping). So for around $50 you'd have one of the infamous 3" DP's from Alex Exhaust (the unofficial Official Exhaust shop of the MNCGP). Only thing is you'd have to have your exhaust shop cut the donut and flex-pipe off the stock DP and weld it to the new one (shouldn't cost more than $15). Total for everything installed should be under $95 (parts, shipping and labor). I'd also suggest a high flow Cat from www.justmagnaflow.com or ebay (same price, but you can use Paypal) -Either place you will get free shipping if it's over $50.
Good luck. I know I got alot of good for the $130 that it cost to get my Magnaflow/Carsound 2.5" high flow, 3" DP and installation. Probably the most HP I'll get from $130 in a N/A Bonneville.

·
Registered
54 Posts
GoldmemberBonneville said:
Alex Exhaust makes the 3" DP for $35 ($45 with installation). With shipping it will probably be $35 DP + $10-$15 shipping (they probably wouldn't ship it, but I'd be willing to help out on the shipping). So for around $50 you'd have one of the infamous 3" DP's from Alex Exhaust (the unofficial Official Exhaust shop of the MNCGP). Only thing is you'd have to have your exhaust shop cut the donut and flex-pipe off the stock DP and weld it to the new one (shouldn't cost more than $15). Total for everything installed should be under $95 (parts, shipping and labor). I'd also suggest a high flow Cat from www.justmagnaflow.com or ebay (same price, but you can use Paypal) -Either place you will get free shipping if it's over $50.
Good luck. I know I got alot of good for the $130 that it cost to get my Magnaflow/Carsound 2.5" high flow, 3" DP and installation. Probably the most HP I'll get from $130 in a N/A Bonneville.
Say man. I will be keeping in touch with you on this thing. Let some cash free up first.May get two from you since the m90kit has everyone buzzing now. It is changing a lot of minds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts