3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 02 Grand Prix GT (NA) with 205,000 on the block. Recently its been making a very slight knocking sound coming from the rotational assembly. (Pistons, Bearings, wrist pins. Not sure which one yet) i am an automotive technician, spent three years in college for auto and worked in a dealership for two years. My main question is I have heard you cant replace just the rotational assembly in this motor, is this true? Can I replace just the pistons or bearings (or what really is knocking) or do I have to replace the entire engine. Oil change is up to date and done religiously at 3k.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Our van had a knocking sound that happened when the oil started to get warm. I used Lucs synthetic Oil sttabilizer and 20W-50 to help. Pretty certain it was a main bearing knock at 170K miles.

At 200 K miles, if you have used regular oil, the engine is pretty worn. I would consider and entire rebuild of at least the short block.

It is true that some have had trouble rebuilding the 3800, and it would be easier to get a used engine instead.

THere are definitely others on this site that have rebuilt their 3800 and have
done fine. It is VERY important to use a machine shop that has experience with the 3800.

Best of luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts