3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I heard a slight knocking sound while driving on the highway in my Fiero. The motor is from a 99 gtp, and was supposedly rebuilt at some point. The sound got louder, and right around the corer from work the motor cut off. I wasn't able to get it to turnover again, but I'm going to head over with the tow truck and see if I can't get it to at least turn over. I fear it threw a rod, but I've also read it could be a flywheel related issue. Just figured I'd see what the most common issues are with these, since I was under the impression the bottom ends are pretty bulletproof in these motors. Motor is bone stock, oil looked and smelled fine, and it never overheated at any point.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
My x-ray thru the computer screen isn't working good enough to tell you what happened. Up to you to diagnose/dissect it.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hey guys, I heard a slight knocking sound while driving on the highway in my Fiero. The motor is from a 99 gtp, and was supposedly rebuilt at some point. The sound got louder, and right around the corer from work the motor cut off. I wasn't able to get it to turnover again, but I'm going to head over with the tow truck and see if I can't get it to at least turn over. I fear it threw a rod, but I've also read it could be a flywheel related issue. Just figured I'd see what the most common issues are with these, since I was under the impression the bottom ends are pretty bulletproof in these motors. Motor is bone stock, oil looked and smelled fine, and it never overheated at any point.
Have you tried turning the engine over by hand using a breaker bar/wrench? Also, I would suggest to drain the oil pan and take a close look at the oil and watch for "streaking" in the oil. If you do see a signifant amount of streaking in the oil, you may have a crankshaft bearing failure. When you find the culprit, get back to us with your findings. Mr Goodwrench.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
My x-ray thru the computer screen isn't working good enough to tell you what happened. Up to you to diagnose/dissect it.
😂😂😂

The bottom ends in a 3800 are pretty solid and if it’s bone stock and you broke the bottom end I’d say
1. It may have been badly neglected in it past life.
2. Wrong oil viscosity was used more than once.
3. You let it overheat badly.
4. The oil filter is plugged and starved the engine for oil/oil pump failed.

Other possibilities are the harmonic balancer came apart and is jammed up on the crank. Not likely the flywheel is an issue. Either way you’re into a territory that not many 3800 owners ever experience because they take a pounding before they break.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts