3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum (but not to car forums in general so I'll skip all the noob garbage if you do) and looking for a realistic approach to upgrading the engine mounts. I just bought an '02 SSEi for a daily driver. My ZR2 sucks enough gas as is. 15-30 mpg sounds a lot better than 5-10 this summer.

I'm noticing a pretty good thump when I lift off the pedal after laying into it a little. Whether or not this is an engine mount remains to be seen, but since I'm thinking about it, I figure I'll replace them anyway. And why not go with poly, I figure? Well, I can't seem to find any through Prothane or Energy Suspension.

Since I'm new to this car as well, I figured I better join a forum and start asking. Sure, I know I'm probably going to see a lot of kids with some crazy ideas and big talk, but I know that there are probably some normal human beings like myself on here who actually do know a thing or two about taking care of these cars. So wherever you are, I'd like to hear from you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think the transmission mount on the front side lower of tranny gives problems. They have a shock absorber on it along with rubber mount sandwiched between the metal plates. The mount cost like 70 bucks at your local parts store.Dont know of an upgrade altho there prolli is one. The design seems destin for failure from the start.I changed a couple.I thought about drilling a hole through both plates and rubber and putting like a 1/4 or 5/16 bolt with a nut and washers on it to keep it tight with the rubber. It seems as if its only glued you might say. Maybe that would only let the mount stress just so much ya know. Thats kinda what that shock does.It will lose its gas charge or somethin.It may be due to over extending after the rubber breaks. No pun intended. Good luck on your endeavors man.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
ok the SSEI is a good looker for sure, and the l67 is a nice engine to have under the hood... i'm sorry, i like Bonneville's.

but anyways, there has to be a way to swap the side mounts out for a dog-bone setup. It may not be necessary, I dont know what Ed Morad ran in his bonnie for mounts.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
there are a few options available. I'm not sure how diff the lower mounts fot the w and h bodys are but a lot of the major vendors sell poly mounts for the w body.

if it is anything like a park avenue I know they use hocky pucks with great success on some mounts.

And also I work at autozone and I know there are revised mounts that eliminate the poor hydrolic design that cause a lot of mount issues.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
the H body and the W body are totally different and share none of the same mounts.

A good specific Bonneville forum is Bonnevillepro.com. (not that 3800pro is not awesome)

the front mount is a marshmellow and tend to cause the thump you are describing. there is a "hockey puck" mount that is made from a grade 8 bolt and some hockey pucks that is the recommended way to solve the issue. I have been running one for 5 years and over 40,000 miles making 303 wheel HP and is still in great shape

·
Registered
369 Posts
I 2nd the hocky puck front mount we have a 2000 SSEi with only 272 WHP and it street tires I ripped the stud out of the top of the mount on the street just getting on it a little not even racing. I used a piece of grade 8 1/2" all thread and 3 nuts and basically make a bolt and so far its holding great even with nitto 555R's on it. another plus with doing this is the stock mount is 3-1/4" tall the 3 hockey pucks are 3" tall so this leans the motor forward some for a bit more traction. If you want stock height you can just stack a few washers on top of the pucks.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Mine sure rocks back pretty far, I can rock the engine back and stick my finger in between the mount and the frame. Is mine broken?

I have a cable that I installed ages ago, but it isn't the most secure on the bendable engine lift point....

I have hesitated over the pucks due to stiffness.

I have a prototype aftermarket mount to install here when I get some warmth.... For the C and H cars (Bonnie, LeSabre and Park Ave) only.

I 2nd the hocky puck front mount we have a 2000 SSEi with only 272 WHP and it street tires I ripped the stud out of the top of the mount on the street just getting on it a little not even racing. I used a piece of grade 8 1/2" all thread and 3 nuts and basically make a bolt and so far its holding great even with nitto 555R's on it. another plus with doing this is the stock mount is 3-1/4" tall the 3 hockey pucks are 3" tall so this leans the motor forward some for a bit more traction. If you want stock height you can just stack a few washers on top of the pucks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you can stick your finger in there its either broken or the nut has fallen off. for a while we had a chain that went from the bottom stud holding the trans mount mount to the trans down to a bolt that I put through the front of the subframe. it worked ok its kinda a old school drag racer trick but the puck mount is a lot better and so far have not noticed any new vibes. We do have a xp cam so that might hide some low rpm vibes butwe have no new high rpm vibes and have put about 3k miles on it so far.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have a prototype aftermarket mount to install here when I get some warmth.... For the C and H cars (Bonnie, LeSabre and Park Ave) only.
It is warm out

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Mine sure rocks back pretty far, I can rock the engine back and stick my finger in between the mount and the frame. Is mine broken?

I have a cable that I installed ages ago, but it isn't the most secure on the bendable engine lift point....

I have hesitated over the pucks due to stiffness.

More snow! Up here at least...isn't it great...
What's your mount look like?
I'm pretty sure my rear trans mount is failing, the one that goes by the steering rack. It's pretty common, might be what you're noticing

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
They are beautiful works of art the come in different colors. Well the colors are actually the difference in the Duro hardness of the Poly. You can mix them up. Hard on the top for the up pull and softer on the bottum for the down stroke

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Not here! Lots of cars in the ditch last night, was 24F and black ice last night. Still ice on the ground today, so still pretty chilly.

It is warm out

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Most of the guys are in shorts here at work with the doors open :icon_lol:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I wanna upgrade to these. We pulled them back out of the Cougar

1 - 15 of 15 Posts