3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you actually LOST power, or got slower with the HVII.

I think it helped before I went hardcore into exhaust mods, but now that everything is done, it is hurting.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was thinking of purchacing a HVII at one time but after doing some research I've come to the opinion that for what you gain on the very upper limits you just lose to much in the optimal power band of the n/a 3.8 .I think if any design would be of benifit it would be a tuned port type of intake runner system.Personally i don't think enough R&D was put into the HVII and is one of those mods that sound good on paper but fail to deliver.

·
Banned
203 Posts
I'll let you know soon. I dyno'd at 199.6 with it in. I haven't dyno'd with it out yet. I'll probably be doing that shortly. I'll post my numbers when I get to it. If someone wants to loan me $60, I'll do it :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fish said:
How many of you actually LOST power, or got slower with the HVII.

I think it helped before I went hardcore into exhaust mods, but now that everything is done, it is hurting.
when it comes down to it using an insert you will lose some bottom end torque, the stock intake runners are longer which is designed for producing torque, but when changing to and insert your causing your car to produce more top end, your times in the 1/4 may not be showing an improvement but on the highway the gains may be more noticiable

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8-Ur-Honda said:
when it comes down to it using an insert you will lose some bottom end torque, the stock intake runners are longer which is designed for producing torque, but when changing to and insert your causing your car to produce my top end, your times in the 1/4 may not be showing an improvement but on the highway the gains may be more noticiable
So then you figure, with headers and the HVII, your losing too much low end and thats why I didnt gain anything??

Im already hell bent on taking it off and trying without it, but my time is slowly passing me by to race. :(

·
Registered
238 Posts
Fish said:
So then you figure, with headers and the HVII, your losing too much low end and thats why I didnt gain anything??

it is very possible that you are losing too much low end, what type of headers do you have, i used TOGS, and many said those are two big for L36's but i personally didnt feel i lost any low end, so in terms of low end power loss every car is different and responds differently to mods. It just seems to me that its a hit or miss kind of thing when dealing with the insert,

·
Registered
433 Posts
FWI, Custom cat back, INTENSE S2 cam, PnP heads, INTENSE Gen.3 Adj. roller rockers, ARP Headstuds, MLS .054 Headgaskets, Comp OE ifters,Comp hi-tech pushrods, HVII, S1 TB, TOG's, R\T downpipe-cat, EGR Delete, Lowtek Pillar+ AF\NitrousPress\TrannyTemp-Autometer Phantoms,Poly Motor Mounts,Intense Shift kit, Intense LSD
KYB Struts\Sprint Springs,SpeedHut Gauges,NOS Powershot Wet, Jacobs NitrousMastermind....
I have all of this crap and then some. I feel I have not lost much low end if any at all. It still burns the tires just as easy as before but around 3k rpm it REALLY takes off up to the ~6500 shift point. Once I get some times with the current mods I may remove it and see what its like without it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont know. My car is funny. Sometimes I can sit there and light up the tires, and sometimes I cant even get them to chirp. It feels like it takes forever to get to 4000 RPMs, then just flys to 6000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts