3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received and installed an Intense standard PCM and I am unable to notice much of a difference in performance other than higher RPM shift points in performance shift mode.

I had a Pontiac service department do the case learn and stressed the importance of not re-flashing the PCM.

Other mods include 3.4" pulley and new belt; K&N open cone filter with Speedbuilt ducting to TB; Borla cat back; TB spacer kit; TB screen removal; poly motor mounts - all installed for over 2 months.

91 octane fuel - California.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to "unlock" more potential or at least feel a little more kick?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tony

·
Registered
156 Posts
The PCM will learn your driving style, give it a few days of "good driving" and see what you think then. One of the CGPC guys said the same thing to me when he first put it in and now he is all :D :D :D .

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Tony can you confirm that the dealership did not reflash your PCM agasnt your wishes?

As sated, give it a few days to lean your car.

That 91 octane will hurt yoru performance too. i knwo that is all you can get in CA.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the prompt feedback!

No, I have not tested the speed limiter - yet. I-5?

No, I'm not sure the dealer did not re-flash the PCM despite my request. How could I tell? It still shifts at higher RPMs in perf shift mode.

Yes, I will do my best to "teach" the PCM a spirited driving style.

Again, thanks for all the info.

Great forum.

Tony

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tony Luna said:
Thanks for all the prompt feedback!

No, I have not tested the speed limiter - yet. I-5?

No, I'm not sure the dealer did not re-flash the PCM despite my request. How could I tell? It still shifts at higher RPMs in perf shift mode.

Yes, I will do my best to "teach" the PCM a spirited driving style.

Again, thanks for all the info.

Great forum.

Tony
I think the fan should be on for 3 min after car shutoff...

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
As BlackZ34 suggested, you PCM should leave the fans running after the car has shut off for 3 min provided the car is warm enough for the fans to come on.

Also you could check with the dealer to see what the actually did when they serviced your car. if they updated your PCM in anyway, its back to stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Merc said:
That 91 octane will hurt yoru performance too. i knwo that is all you can get in CA.
Disagree! At sea level his 91 octane is equivalent to about 94 octane here in the Midwest.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I hadent headrd that yet Dave, please explain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Merc,

It has to do with air density. At sea level the air is thicker which requires less octane fuel to burn equivalent. Up in Denver where the air is much less dense the highest octane you can get is 87 (89 is considered race gas) eek: That's why the NHRA guys have to back off the fuel so much when they are at Bandimere. Make sense now?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yeah but woudlnt they want higher octane in denver cause it is thinner air?

89 is race gas? OUCH!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Merc said:
Yeah but woudlnt they want higher octane in denver cause it is thinner air?
No because there's less actual oxygen in the air therefore requiring less fuel (octane) to behave the same as sea level. I only know this because I've seen it posted and I always wondered why the gas was less octane when I was in Denver and had to fill up. IIRC regular in Denver is 83 octane maybe 85 tops!

·
Registered
108 Posts
think of thinner/heavier air as boost (pressure). Thinner air = less boost (pressure) = lower octane to prevent detonation. Heavier air = more boost (pressure) = higher octane to prevent detonation.

That's why the highest available octanes vary by region and elevation. Higher elevation lower octane requirements and vise-versa.

·
Registered
224 Posts
swinginbeef said:
think of thinner/heavier air as boost (pressure). Thinner air = less boost (pressure) = lower octane to prevent detonation. Heavier air = more boost (pressure) = higher octane to prevent detonation.

That's why the highest available octanes vary by region and elevation. Higher elevation lower octane requirements and vise-versa.
koooool. learn sumptin new everyday! thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
FrogmanDave said:
No because there's less actual oxygen in the air therefore requiring less fuel (octane) to behave the same as sea level. I only know this because I've seen it posted and I always wondered why the gas was less octane when I was in Denver and had to fill up. IIRC regular in Denver is 83 octane maybe 85 tops!
Well I'm close enough to denver and the octane is the same here as it is there.
85 regular
87 mid
91 premium
92 if your lucky, I've never seen anything that high here in wyo

·
Registered
130 Posts
wow, 85 octane? i've never heard of that. the lowest i ever saw was 87 throughout the northeast.....but then again it is a totally different region.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Cool! Good info guys.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts