3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought myself a 04 Impala SS Indy Edition for my B-day. It only has 7,200 miles and is in mint condition. It's completly stock. So, I was wondering where can I start at to start adding a little extra HP and getting the most out of my engine? I'm basically a newbie when it comes to modifying so if I wanted to keep it under $1000, for now, where can I start? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Will post pics soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just bought myself a 04 Impala SS Indy Edition for my B-day. It only has 7,200 miles and is in mint condition. It's completly stock. So, I was wondering where can I start at to start adding a little extra HP and getting the most out of my engine? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
It is the same 3.8L supercharged engine as everything else, so it all applies! Exhaust, intake, and tuning are the common places to start. Nice birthday present. :8

·
Registered
30 Posts
Simple upgrades are

1. 180 Thermostat
2. Some sort of air intake SLP, Wizaired or home made fenderwell
3. Either a off the shelf PCM or a custum tune (ZZP, Overkill)
4. A downpipe with high flow cat does wonders
5. Stock mufflers flow fine, but have no sound. You will really not gain much with mufflers except growl. I prefer dynomax & magnaflow. If you cut off the resonator stay with a turbo type muffler ( not flowmaster), or the interior drone and exterior raspyness will be ANNOYING.
6. Many people get a front STB and larger sway bars

I have done the above simple mods to 3 different W-body cars.

I have sound clips here:

My pics & sound clips

Read the 4 pages of tech articles here: (especially the mods you don't need section)

tech articles

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
beginner mods

My advise is three fold: 1) you want mods that get you more power
2) you want mods that will not use more fuel and will enhance your fuel economy
3) you want mods that will set you up for future mods (supporting mods)
These include CAI, exhaust downpipe and other exhaust mods, PCM, lighter rocker arms, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.