3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've finally gotten myself a GTP, really fun car so far but it does have some issues with it. First off the rockers are basically gone, my plan is to weld reinforcement metal in but I'm not sure how to go about that quite yet any suggestions are welcome. Secondly, the transmission is a little funky in 1st and 2nd gear. Sometimes it's fine, other times it'll lag and bang into 1st and 2nd, Lucas stop slip helped a little bit but the issue is still there. Those are the only two major issues, otherwise it just needs an oxygen sensor, something's up with the EVAP, speed sensor needs fixing, supercharger may need a new bearing or coupler, and the power steering pump is noisy. My biggest concern though is the rust as it's pretty bad on the rockers.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Sounds like all of the things that crap out on an older GTP... Rocker panels, transmission, coupler, EVAP, etc.

You have a project on your hands. Enjoy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like all of the things that crap out on an older GTP... Rocker panels, transmission, coupler, EVAP, etc.

You have a project on your hands. Enjoy.
Figures lol. The coupler and EVAP (depending on what's wrong) aren't too hard I know but with the transmission I'm thinking possibly the solenoids. It's not all the time though, like this morning it was shifting fine.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Could be anything from converter, to solenoids, to worn bands. It's basically like a watch, and once a tooth on a gear is out of place, it's not going to tick right again until repaired completely.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be anything from converter, to solenoids, to worn bands. It's basically like a watch, and once a tooth on a gear is out of place, it's not going to tick right again until repaired completely.
I figure I'll either ride it till the trans dies and pick up a used one or rebuild the current one at some point if it makes it long enough for me to get the cash. It doesn't seem to do it until it's warmed up though if that narrows it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts