3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
1,221 Posts
Is there a reason you feel like this is an issue? If your system is staying full, and you haven't had an overheating issue, I don't see why a level near the middle of the range is a concern.

For more visibility, you can get an OBD 2 Bluetooth Scanner like ELM and use an app like Torque to see the number value (and dozens of other sensors), if you're really interested.

·
Administrator
1,221 Posts
You'll want a number rather than a general gauge reference you may not have a regular frame of reference for what's normal.

These iron block, iron head engines are pretty stable at getting up to thermostat temp and staying there, when coolant is topped off and everything in the system is working fine. OEM thermostats are ~195degF and fans typically come on about 10-15deg above that, so your range should be around there. The fans will do the trick, too, because I'm able to run mine down at my 160 t-stat temp (for performance purposes, although 180 would be decent, too) with fans set to the same, and stays there in almost any condition.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts