3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious if a reserve tank in the trunk is worth the effort. If ice is added to make the coolant...cooler would that make the i/C more eff. and in turn make more power?
Thanks!

·
Vendor
260 Posts
seen96 said:
I was just curious if a reserve tank in the trunk is worth the effort. If ice is added to make the coolant...cooler would that make the i/C more eff. and in turn make more power?
Thanks!
Yes Shawn though this might be a bit extreme for most. Anything that increases the capacity of the system will help increase effective cooling. This means using 3/4th's inch lines, a larger capacity radiator, and if you want to go batty, routing the intercooler hoses a lengthier way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, sounds good, because the mods that I have.....I need some efficiency. ;)
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
72 Posts
seen96 said:
OK, sounds good, because the mods that I have.....I need some efficiency. ;)
Thanks guys!

Im running 3/4" lines with my MP112/MAP IC combo. The more coolent volume the merrier. Ive also insalled a elactric fan in front of my exchanger/rad and an ice exchanger in the trunk. That helps alot...AKA Ford heater core suspended in a meduim size cooler. The ice box in the trunk is very effective bringing down water temps quickly but eats ice fast.

Great for the track though. I think what guys are doing (what im going to do) is after a lap keep your fans an and your IC pump and melt a couple bags down and cool everything down. Drain it then add a fresh bag for you run.

A tip to save you some $$ on 3/4" hose...If interested...I use 1/2 PCV fitings (45* 90*) to route the hose neatly in the trunk and engine bay and pipe under the car to prevent damage from road debris. Its cheaper than the 3/4" hose at $.99ft. The 1/2" PVC fittings work/fit well with the 3/4" hose.

You can get the fan and heater core at Pep Boys or you local auto parts store.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I ended up using 2 fans, just the one wasn't enough to get temps down quick enough. Even with 2 fans it's too slow. I may ditch the Hayden fans for something OEM. They just don't push enough air unless I'm doing 40. I found a good source for the 3/4" lines. Enco supply carries the reinforced Goodyear hose, and it's pretty cheap. I believe it was about .70 a foot. To further enhance my system, I'll be replacing my coolant (in both the motor and IC) with the Evans NPG+ stuff. It is expensive, but if it'll add a few extra HP (like 10ish) it will be cheap HP. It goes for around $22.50 a gallon.

Oh....Rob, you have to try and use dry ice. It's only like $7.00 for 10lbs. Just make sure that your trunk is vented. It doesn't melt like ice, it turns into C02, will last a lot longer, and is BRRRR colder.

Forgot safety tip: Don't ever place dry ice in a sealed container, as it changes to gas, it will build up pressure in a sealed container. It'd blow the lid off a cooler with no vent.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ron Vogel said:
I ended up using 2 fans, just the one wasn't enough to get temps down quick enough. Even with 2 fans it's too slow. I may ditch the Hayden fans for something OEM. They just don't push enough air unless I'm doing 40. I found a good source for the 3/4" lines. Enco supply carries the reinforced Goodyear hose, and it's pretty cheap. I believe it was about .70 a foot. To further enhance my system, I'll be replacing my coolant (in both the motor and IC) with the Evans NPG+ stuff. It is expensive, but if it'll add a few extra HP (like 10ish) it will be cheap HP. It goes for around $22.50 a gallon.

Oh....Rob, you have to try and use dry ice. It's only like $7.00 for 10lbs. Just make sure that your trunk is vented. It doesn't melt like ice, it turns into C02, will last a lot longer, and is BRRRR colder.

Forgot safety tip: Don't ever place dry ice in a sealed container, as it changes to gas, it will build up pressure in a sealed container. It'd blow the lid off a cooler with no vent.

Ladies and gentlemen.......Ron Vogel... ;)

Good point Ron. Inever capped it off before. A small vent in the top of the cooler is in order then. I could vent it out with my drain. Also you dont want to touch the dry ice without protection. It will burn you.(for those who dont know) I thought of running the waterless coolent. It is supossed to radiate heat better. I think I'd run it in my cooling system first though. Is that what you ment?

What im thinking about is to restrisct the IC coolent flow OUT of the Exchanger/rad with a tranny cooler or something to slow down the flow in the exch. By therory it should work. I think I would have to go fro 3/4 to like 3/8s though....My concern is putting too much pressure in the pump. I guess i could always go with another Heater core..That should build a little more resistance...

Fan makes a difference...I always got my eyes peeled for a better one. However im quite pleased in the one i got for now. I will revisit the fan issue if I go with a lager exchanger later...Like a 4 core somethig or other...

Im glad the dry ice thing worked out for you....

·
Registered
467 Posts
It did work out, but it's currently not in use. I put a copper exchanger inside my washer fluid tank. To do this I had to cut the side of the tank off, and re-epoxy it on. I cooled washer fluid in the dry Ice, then poured it in over the exchanger. It was good to cool below ambient for a run, then I drain the tank, and put in the back-up jug. I ran my PB that way, but the epoxy didn't hold up well to the corrosive washer fluid. I'm going to put a new exchanger, such as a heater core like yours in. This time I'll get an extra one and do it off the car, so I don't rush it and get a leak. The washer fluid offers some nice advantages; it completely immerses the heat exchanger, has better thermal conductivity, and can be cooled a lot lower temperature than ice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Ron are you going to try a cooler in the trunk? Its seems it would be so much easier and add coolent and ICE volume to you set up...Its a little plumbing..As far as weight. I cant even see you breaking 20-25# TOPs with payload.

Keep the washer fluid cooler and add the cooler in the trunk. It really kicks ass. Cleap too. My cooler is like 13" tall and 17" wide so I still have room in my trunk for a propane and NOS bottle...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts