3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have joined his community because I am contemplating using a 3800 build as an engine swap in my 1967 MG B-GT. I was looking for a fairly light and small engine that will provide decent power for the car. A turbo or s/c 3.4 to 3.8 should do the trick. I found a series 2 3.8 on craigslist, it came from a 98 camaro. I am thinking I’ll go pick it up. I’ll be searching the forum to find out if the heads and internals in the Camaro 3.8 will be adequate for my build or if there are some fwd 3800 parts that may be beneficial to pick up.

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
375 Posts
That sounds like a fun project. The stock Camaro 3.8 (L36) will be a decent engine at ~200hp in stock form, as long as you go through and replace the gaskets down to the lower intake manifold (common failure point that now has aluminum gaskets from GM, available at many stores/vendors).

If you want to get fancy, you can consider putting some boost to it. That engine is a little higher compression (9.4:1) than the supercharged FWD version (L67 - 8.5:1), so you won't want to push as much into it to see a good improvement. The Australian Holdens have a RWD version of the Eaton M90 that could make this cleaner for you, or you could jump in the turbo realm, although kits for Camaro/Firebird 3.8's are just starting to get out there. LINKS here to some: on Amazon?!? ... on eBay? ... and possibly others, but I'm just surprised and happy to see them.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts