·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many lbs can i Knock off by taking off my seats. :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can knock off over 100 Lbs if you remove you seats front and rear. Unless your building a track car and will not be using your car as a daily driver, it's not a good weight loss mod for obvious reasons.

Cheers,
BH

·
Banned
203 Posts
Well, I actually took some time in gutting my car and actually weighing each piece. If I remember correctly:

Front seat - 35 lbs
Spare tire/ajack - 35 lbs.
Upper and lower rear seat - roughly 20 lbs
Door panels (6 lbs a piece)

I did a few other things, but that's where the most gains were. I think I totaled up to about 190ish lbs taken out of the car in less than an hour. :)

Of course, this is on my Lumina LTZ. Your car(s) may vary.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Buck531 said:
Well, I actually took some time in gutting my car and actually weighing each piece. If I remember correctly:

Front seat - 35 lbs
Spare tire/ajack - 35 lbs.
Upper and lower rear seat - roughly 20 lbs
Door panels (6 lbs a piece)

I did a few other things, but that's where the most gains were. I think I totaled up to about 190ish lbs taken out of the car in less than an hour. :)

Of course, this is on my Lumina LTZ. Your car(s) may vary.
cheater :p

·
Banned
361 Posts
if you're going to be using your GP as a race car, don't. just pick up something with AWD/RWD and an aftermarket.
I don't think that is the attitude we want here at 3800Tech.com
:rolleyes: :D

But yeah outstandingly amazing advice for the weight reduction section of a tech forum about grand prix engines.

·
Registered
37 Posts
black_hawk said:
You can knock off over 100 Lbs if you remove you seats front and rear. Unless your building a track car and will not be using your car as a daily driver, it's not a good weight loss mod for obvious reasons.

Cheers,
BH
Now that I have done it a couple of times, it takes less than 20 minutes to remove the front passenger seat and upper and lower rear seat of my Regal. As far as I am concerned, it is an easy mod to do at the track or before you leave for the track. If I am going for a new PB at a well groomed track, I will remove the seats. If I am at a big Buick event where I want to look more classy then I leave them in.

Scott
INTENSE Regal GS

·
Registered
47 Posts
Guys...did you know the CD changer with it's bracket weighs 10lbs? I weighed everything once and was surprised that when eliminating spare tire, jack, 10"sub, rear seats, pass. seat, rugs...I removed a total of 159lbs. And my time went from [email protected] to [email protected]

·
Banned
361 Posts
I weighed everything once and was surprised that when eliminating spare tire, jack, 10"sub, rear seats, pass. seat, rugs...I removed a total of 159lbs.

Did this include the rear seat belts and speaker panel?

·
Registered
47 Posts
seriesIIIChump said:
Did this include the rear seat belts and speaker panel?
I did remove the seat belts but NOT the speaker panels...they are a pain. :mad:

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
As the saying goes:

Every 100 lbs = 1 tenth

The rear seats have 4 bolts and the passenger seat is 4 bolts as well.

Dont forget yoru trunk carpeting as well. Every little bit helps :D

I plan on gutting for the next 2 track events im at. Also dropping the exhaust!

·
Registered
467 Posts
The front seat on the GTP takes less than 5 min, 2 - 15 mm bolts at the back of the seat, and the one 15mm nut to remove the seat belt. Lift the back and slides right out. Biggest reduction, may not help too much with ET, but getting rid of excess weight is surely nicer to the tranny. I bet with the driver's side power seat motors and such, that would be nice to remove. Too bad my local track has rules against sitting on egg crates!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
3 bolts my bad Ron.

LOL Egg crates! :D

·
Registered
467 Posts
Don't laugh, I bought a running '76 GP for a parts car back in the day. I had to sit on an egg crate to drive it home. Kept tipping over when I left a light. Motor had a such a bad rod knock, I was ready to duck a flying rod. All I wanted was the t-tops off it for my '77 GP, but got the whole car for $100. Had to drive the thing with no seats, no hood, one missing front fender, and no side windows over 10 miles in 30 degree weather. Ahh, the good 'ol days.
I used to have a pimp '77 GP with a 400/400 turbo trans. Red velvet interior, front swivel buckets, 2 tone Blood red on burgandy. It was a real nice car until I crashed it on the way to the car wash one day; kind of ironic.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well, it's a long story...but because of that accident, I ended up claiming bankrupcy 5 years later. It wasn't pretty.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have some info I posted on the UNYCGP forums. Info I got from, others on clubGP, Ed Morad, some others. (thanks) Figure I'd add it here.

Link

---------- Cut/pasted most of the info VVVVV

Chris Whites 02' GP X-P stock
2002 GTP Loaded with 1/4 tank of gas
3423 Lbs
Left Front Corner 1131.5 Lbs
Right Front Corner 1135.0 Lbs
Left Rear Corner 566.0
Right Rear Corner 592.0

Removing spare/jack ended up with -40# on the rear.
Torque stars (looks good and light) weigh in about 14 lbs.
Hi-poed Torque stars with damn near gone tread RS-A's weighed in at roughly 37 lbs
Stock RSA and Hi-Po 5 spoke weighed 39 lbs
16" HI-Po 5 spoke w/ Michellin touring tires = 41lbs
Centerline strom 17x8 14.5 8/2 edmondGTP
Centerline RPM 17x7 13lbs
BMR front sway bar is 8 lbs more then stock
BMR rear is 3 (mike lewis Emailed me that)
Pass. seat about 42lbs
backseat about 24lbs
back seats 27 pounds (w/ paass thu)
rear decklid w/speakers 5.5lbs
front cross braces 3lbs
coil bracket/motor mount about 14lbs (thats just the cast iron bracket Not the other dog bone and MM and braket)
Bonneville coil bracket that saves 12 lbs http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/wannaplaypcola/mods/ignition_coil
glove box 4lbs
rear trunk props 1-2lbs
visors 1.5 lbs
washer tank 10 with fluid
stock resonator 25-30 lbs
stock hood 42 pounds.
aluminum front subframe ?????
Pull the Air Conditioner pump and AC Condensor replace with pulley. savings ~75lbs
'heat padding' from underside of hood 2-3
remove engine hoist brackets. 4-5 lbs

Rotors
Stock 10.9 front is 15 pounds
Bendix 12" ($80) = 19.6 lbs
Econo 12" ($30) = 19.6 lbs
Aimco std 12" ($35) = 19.1 lbs
12" KVR x-drilled rotors($110) are only 18.6 lbs

From a Email from Morad VVVVVVVVVV

The manual track is about 9-11lbs lighter. For awhile I used a pass seat frame. Only problem is that the offset is off some and you sit closer to door and an inch or so away more from console. I am not sure about the se track, but that sounds like a good idea

remove rear seatbelts 9-10lbs (all guesses)
remove rear speakers (6-12 depending)
cruise control 3lbs
rear skinnies 50+
light front rims
remove wipers Razz
alum cradle and bonne bracket
light race seats 40
custom carpet 40+
light race brakes 40+ androtating mass also
remove washer fluid + container
remove evap system and canister
fuel cell (never have too much fuel and will have sump, so only need 1-2 gallons)
remove seats
carbon fiber hood
trunk carpet
bumprer supports
a/c compressor and condensor
engine brackets

(Zoom posted this)
Racing with less gas will drop you 100 pounds
Removing your spare, another 30 or so
The 2 front seats weigh 100 pounds combined
the bumper supports with Styrofoam are 50 pounds
the interior carpet is 40 pounds

Does anyone know how to remove the bumper supports?
VVVVV
For the front:
There are 5 philips #2 screws in each wheel well, two on bottom, 3 in the fenderwell. Remove them. There is a 10 mm bolt holding the bumper to the car in the wheel well. There is a slit in the plastic to get to it. Remove that on each side. Remove all the plastic push in clips in the scoops in lower.
that will let you pull the skin off. There are 6 bolts total on bumper support, you'll see them. Remove with a 13mm or 1/2 socket.

Once you unscrew everything, pull foward on the sides of the bumper and it should slide out. They are in a groove which help hold it to the fender. You'll notice the white plastic peices holding it on on both sides.

gasoline is 6.2 lbs/gal (7ish?)
Water is 8.3lbs/US gal

Don't run the 12' rotors
Drop the bitch off at the bus stop (morad :laughing: )
Trim Spa baby (somone?)

------------- other things
back rubber/foam mat behind the rear seat in speakers. 8lbs
EGR bracket, vavle, and tubes = 4.5 lbs.
tourqe star w/ new nitto 555R = 39.0
tourqe star w/ 225/60/16 daytonZR's = 41.0
bare touqre star= 15.5
The styrofoam thing with the sisior jack, lug wrench, and center cap pry tool thing = 7.0
The spare cover carpet/rubber piece and the cardboard cover piece (97-98, 99+ is one piece) = 6.0

This is the spare, with syrofoam/jack/lug wrench, tire cover, the trunk carpet, with the padding glued to it (floor/sides that big piece), the cargo net and harware for it. Every thing in the trunk Weights about 41.5 lbs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
04 Impala Seats

I've looked several times passenger and rear seats for the bolts to remove them. I don't know what to do.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts