3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of just doing a 3.5" pulley, new PCM, 180* stat, and headers, I'm looking at doing an intercooler and a smaller pulley with a new PCM and a 180* stat. I was looking at W Body Store stage II intercooler. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this intercooler. I`d get it with the machined lower intake and the intercooler rails. So I have a few questions. How small of a pulley would I be able to run? Is the W Body Store stage II intercooler a good intercooler? Will it fit under the hood of an `04 supercharged Monte Carlo? If I got it professionally installed, how long would it probably take for a mechanic to install it? How much crank horsepower would I be able to expect?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
you will need headers, and probably a catback to take full advantage of the intercooler, remember you shouldn't shove more air in than you can get out, so exhaust is important.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will need headers, and probably a catback to take full advantage of the intercooler, remember you shouldn't shove more air in than you can get out, so exhaust is important.
I already have the headers and a 3 inch downpipe. My questions is more so if the W Body Store Intercooler is a quality intercooler? What size pulley I could run with an intercooler and if the stock hood of an 04 Monte SS will still close with a 2.25 inch intercooler.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
it should fit, and i haven't heard anything negative about the core itself, but you might look at talking to SSEilmnop, he uses the wbodystore design, but makes them out of phenolic instead of aluminum, shaves some weight, and they should be a better cooler, if you're not comfortable getting a custom cooler the wbodystore one is still good.

pulley: exactly what mods does your car have already, down to the spark plugs

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it should fit, and i haven't heard anything negative about the core itself, but you might look at talking to SSEilmnop, he uses the wbodystore design, but makes them out of phenolic instead of aluminum, shaves some weight, and they should be a better cooler, if you're not comfortable getting a custom cooler the wbodystore one is still good.

pulley: exactly what mods does your car have already, down to the spark plugs
Okay so right now my car has a K & N drop in filter, stock plugs, and headers with a 3" downpipe. Once I install the intercooler it will have K & N drop in filter, stock plugs, headers, 3" downpipe, 180* stat, an overkill PCM, and obviously the intercooler. Then I just need to decide what to do for the pulley.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
you will want to change to ngk tr7's or even tr8's, get a set of 42# injectors at least or 60# injectors if you want to go higher power on e85, and get a different intake, and a real tune would be advisable as well as a larger catback, and start saving for a built transmission now because it will not last long with any more power than stock

if you don't want to get bigger injectors a 3.1" will be the farthest you can go with pulleys

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you will want to change to ngk tr7's or even tr8's, get a set of 42# injectors at least or 60# injectors if you want to go higher power on e85, and get a different intake, and a real tune would be advisable as well as a larger catback, and start saving for a built transmission now because it will not last long with any more power than stock

if you don't want to get bigger injectors a 3.1" will be the farthest you can go with pulleys
I'm truly not interested in changing the spark plugs or getting bigger injectors. I'm not interested in E85 or a different intake or getting a real tune. My question was with those mods what pulley I could run. I did not ask what was the smallest pulley possible to run on an L67 and what setup would this take. I will go with a 3.25" pulley.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
you can run your stock plugs and a canned tune, then chip your pistons all to hell because the tips of the plugs melted off, then you can come back and i'll explain what happened in detail without ever looking at your engine.

go get a set of tr7's and save yourself an unnecessary headache, the canned tune should be ok, not perfect but ok

read this for required mods for pulley sizes

in all honesty this isn't a good idea unless you're going to do it right, do your research and know what mods you need to do what, and be prepared for the inevitable blown transmission

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can run your stock plugs and a canned tune, then chip your pistons all to hell because the tips of the plugs melted off, then you can come back and i'll explain what happened in detail without ever looking at your engine.

go get a set of tr7's and save yourself an unnecessary headache, the canned tune should be ok, not perfect but ok

in all honesty this isn't a good idea unless you're going to do it right, do your research and know what mods you need to do what, and be prepared for the inevitable blown transmission
I apologize. I was being a complete ass when you are just trying to help me. Okay well I will get the plugs too. I see lots of people using Autolites. Is there any reason you have a preference to these plugs over the Autolites? Also what about the platinum or iridium spark plugs? Are they better then the ones with the copper core?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I apologize. I was being a complete ass when you are just trying to help me. Okay well I will get the plugs too. I see lots of people using Autolites. Is there any reason you have a preference to these plugs over the Autolites? Also what about the platinum or iridium spark plugs? Are they better then the ones with the copper core?
iridiums are ideal and last a long time, platinums are a no-no, coppers are good if you don't mind changing plugs every 10,000 miles

and i use NGK because they are made in japan with great quality control, the autolites are now being made in china and have a high defective fail rate

the numbering system is different to say the least between the companies, but xp103's are the autolite equivalent of the ngk tr7's both are iridium

and i apologize for being short with you, i just got done doing an oil change on my car without a lift or even a jack, and i couldn't spill a drop, on top of that i need a dip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
iridiums are ideal and last a long time, platinums are a no-no, coppers are good if you don't mind changing plugs every 10,000 miles

and i use NGK because they are made in japan with great quality control, the autolites are now being made in china and have a high defective fail rate

the numbering system is different to say the least between the companies, but xp103's are the autolite equivalent of the ngk tr7's both are iridium
Okay. I have only ever changed spark plugs on old cars that have lots of room in the engine bay or on snowmobiles. Is it hard to change a spark plug on a transversely mounted FWD car?

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
actually with the headers it's not too bad, if you have issues getting to the back three, you can remove the 2 long bolts on the front engine mounts and rock the engine forward by pushing the car forward and setting the parking brake at the right moment, you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.

the first time is the worst, after a few times it's literally a 5 minute job, i've done a set on my hot engine in the O'reilly's lot in 10 minutes before

the monte's actually have decent reach room if you remove all the unneeded brackets used to lift the engine out and the egr, just dont throw them out, that'd be bad luck
without the brackets you could get to the back 3 without having to rock the motor, it makes things easier

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

and i apologize for being short with you, i just got done doing an oil change on my car without a lift or even a jack, and i couldn't spill a drop, on top of that i need a dip
Okay. So headers, intense racing PCM, NGK TR7 plugs, 180* stat, full size intercooler, K & N drop in filter, and a 3.2" pulley? Oh and any idea what size belt I would need. From what I have seen a 680 looks like it should be the right size.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Okay. So headers, intense racing PCM, NGK TR7 plugs, 180* stat, full size intercooler, K & N drop in filter, and a 3.2" pulley? Oh and any idea what size belt I would need. From what I have seen a 680 looks like it should be the right size.
that i don't memorize, but i'm sure wbodystore has a page telling what belt sizes to run

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Okay so I'm now questioning myself on whether or not I should really go with an intercooled setup. It is a lot more money and a lot higher risk on the transmission. So I am thinking of maybe going headers, 3.5" pulley, Intense tune and a 180* stat. I wanted to ask though, will the TR7's still be okay on the 3.5" pulley or would I be better to leave the stock ones in? I didn't start questioning the intercooler thing till I had already ordered the new spark plugs so now I am just wondering if they would still work or if I would be better to just leave the stock ones in, or if I NEED to go with a different set of spark plugs.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've been thru a full assortment of supercharger pulleys on my 03 GTP. Been from stock all they way down to 2.6". On a internally stock engine with an intercooler the 3.25" was about where some damaging KR (detonation/pinging) will occur. The intercooler will work but on a hot day and hot engine you could still get in trouble. If you want to be serious about going as far as you can you will need to do more or be prepared to spend a LOT MORE. Getting back to that 3.25 option with an intercooler,headers, good downpipe and exhaust, I run my engine cool and this also will help stop damaging KR. To do this I run a high speed cooling fan system along with NO thermostat. After a hard pull on the car the temps are at 175/180 on a hot day. Many times it's near 140-160 degrees on cooler days.

Bottom line is don't wreck all you work by not quite going far enough.
Good luck, Jake L.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been thru a full assortment of supercharger pulleys on my 03 GTP. Been from stock all they way down to 2.6". On a internally stock engine with an intercooler the 3.25" was about where some damaging KR (detonation/pinging) will occur. The intercooler will work but on a hot day and hot engine you could still get in trouble. If you want to be serious about going as far as you can you will need to do more or be prepared to spend a LOT MORE. Getting back to that 3.25 option with an intercooler,headers, good downpipe and exhaust, I run my engine cool and this also will help stop damaging KR. To do this I run a high speed cooling fan system along with NO thermostat. After a hard pull on the car the temps are at 175/180 on a hot day. Many times it's near 140-160 degrees on cooler days.

Bottom line is don't wreck all you work by not quite going far enough.
Good luck, Jake L.
Yeah as per my previous comment I have decided against doing an intercooled setup and to go with a bigger pulley.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts