3800Pro Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Proud Supporter of 3800PRO
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intense Thermostat vs. the other guys

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay. I have two questions for those who are running a Intense Thermostat. I have currently been using a ZZP 160-degree drilled thermostat for a while. I have been servicing my coolant system and recently after seeing the new sales flyer I felt compelled to buy one of the Intense-160's. The ZZP stat cannot be more than a year old but for 4.99 I couldn't pass up Intense's deal. With that and the fact that I am now sold on Intense products ( much better products and quality and cusomer service I feel) I'm gonna replace the other stat. 1) My first question is has anyone else made this transition? ZZP claims that the opening port is 20% larger than OEM while Intense claims 50%. You can even see the difference in the pictures. This has got to account for some better cooling efficiency. 2) The other question is has anyone drilled the Intense thermostat. I can see the logic behind doing this as I did with the ZZP but just wandering if anyone has attempted. Let me know.

P.S. I am planning on comparing the results via Scantool on similar temp and drive pattern days.

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know that this info may seem useless to some, but I have been thinking about why maybe a drilled-thermostat may not be the way to go. Now I'm not an expert on thermal dynamics and after all we are talking about something so simple as a thermostat, but I see a potential problem with running a drilled thermostat if infact (not in my case) you had a upgraded radiator or some really powerful fans or even had a really good operating cooling sytem. Some may experience this without mods due to geographic location. I wish I could draw a diagram here but I'll try to explain. Let's say you had the following:
-A PCM set for fan-on operation at 160-degrees
-A cooling system which could indeed hold 160-180-degree temps.
-A drilled 160-degree thermostat

We all know that most engine's are going to super-heat while operating (exceed the setting of the thermostat and rise above the desired operating temp to some degree, it's simple physics) due to the heat transfer around the comb. chambers, water-jackets, etc.. But if you indeed had the conditions as stated above and let's say the engine reaches the 160 mark which would activate the thermostat. This would trigger cooler glycol-mix to enter through the thermostat as we all know. Here's where it get's tricky would'nt the steady flow of coolant already rushing in through the drilled-holes upset the thermostat? I mean you have a cooler mix already coming in behind the thermostat where the 160+ temps would be, would'nt it put the thermostat in some kind of limbo? Maybe even not letting it reach it's full flowing capabilities. As stated before I see why some do it at the tracks during cool-downs, and as Rogue stated before I see how it can hurt MPG's. What do you guys think? Perhaps even Dyno Brian or Rogue once again could offer a response.
Oh and one more thing and with this I'm not trying to vendor bash (as I have several of their products) but I could not help but to notice that a certain company that I stated earlier as advertising a 20% better flow rating than stock has recently (and by this I mean after this thread was posted recently) changed the advertised rating of their thermostats to match Intense's 50% advertised flow rating over OEM. Maybe they changed suppliers?

P.S. As this is Fourth of July weekend and I will be tinkering with the car anyway, as stated before I will post the numbers (obviously with as close of scenarios as possible as well as mic'ing the stats. Maybe I have too much time on my hands. Anyway just trying to do a little research in case any newcomers come across this.

·
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, after this weekend I was finally able to put the new Thermostat to the test. Now I know this isn't rocket science but I was very surprised at what I found. The test comprised of comparing two of the other guy's thermostats to the new Intense unit. A little over a year ago I was running a 180-degree thermostat (ZZP) while also running a re-programmed PCM (ZZP which almost made a piston launch out of my engine). I decided to replace my PCM with an Intense PCM as well as have it calibrated for 160-degree temps. I had already went down to a 160-degree (ZZP) when I was in the process of trying to figure out why my engine was detonating so bad. So for the past year I've been running a Intense PCM with a ZZP 160-degree drilled thermostat. As early summer approached I noticed the temp hand creeping up over the 200 degree mark and once even saw it rise even higher. At first I thought I was imagining things since I had put less than 3k on the car the previous year. But I know my car well and even if it sit's it still will get an oil and coolant change. This is when I decided to change over my coolant mix to a larger precentage of water with Royal Purple's Purple Ice. This did improve things but not enough for my standards. So here's what I recorded with the 160 ZZP-drilled thermostat compared to th Intense 160. I know this is not what you would call official and no I'm not getting anything free out of this, it's just what I recorded.

The measuments of all three thermostats ( measurements were taken at the bottom opening or engine side of the thermostat. This makes it easier to Mic-out as well as since different manufacturers have different constructon it makes the test fairer).

ZZP 180-Degree: 19.1 mm

ZZP 160-Degree Drilled: 20.3 mm

Intense 160-Degree: 22.1 mm

Driving Results provided via Actron Elite Autoscanner Pro CP9190 ( ZZP 160-Degree Drilled vs. Intense 160)

ZZP: Three Identical trips, no traffic, three 90-92 Degree days. Cold Start to Closed Loop 20 miles.
Trip one: 195 degrees
Trip two:: 197 degrees
Trip three: 192 degrees

Intense: Three Indentical trips, no traffic, two 92-97 Degree days, one 96 Degree day. Cold Start to Closed Loop 20 miles.
Trip One: 184
Trip Two: 185
Trip Three: 186 (the 197-degree day)

That's what I recorded. Like I said not really mind-blowing but worth a look. I can't explain why the results were so different.
I am anxious to compare average mpg's between the drilled and non-driled Thermostats. I am going to record for about a month. I might post them as well but not sure because that can be debated due to alot more variables. Anyway, hope this is informative. :8

1 - 3 of 3 Posts