3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much horsepower more is the S4 cam over the S3? Obviously heads and such play a factor, so let say on an Inense race block and head etc, how much can a person expect?
-Scott

·
Vendor
86 Posts
load97 said:
How much horsepower more is the S4 cam over the S3? Obviously heads and such play a factor, so let say on an Inense race block and head etc, how much can a person expect?
-Scott
yeah that cam is sick. i don't think i'd run it on a street car, but it's gotta make some serious power.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You're not gonna try a stg 4 milzy? c'mon lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Stage 4 is a single purpose cam designed for racing, with little regard for anything else. It was designed for maximum effort racing and should be run with high shiftpoints, as in 7000 or more and will thus require very heavy springs. It is definitely not for the timid. It's hard to compare it to other cams because of its raised operating range, but I would say that it probably peaks at 25-ish hp over the stage 3. Also, you better have a big exhaust to let it breathe, otherwise you've wasted your time.

Another great alternative in my opinion is the new nitrous/blower cam. It's more aggressive than S3 but still streetable. I estimate that I picked up maybe 10 horses in going from the S3 to the N/B and that's running it without nitrous. The extended exhaust duration should really let it shine on nitrous.

John

·
Registered
347 Posts
About the S4 cam, how much does the idle have to be raised from stock so it can be driven w/o stalling, also what is the expected life of the heads, by that I mean is it greatly reduced (compared to S3 or blower/nitrous cam) at the valveseats due to the extreme springs?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John,
I thought I was told the S3 N/B cam was actually a little less horse than the regular S3 cam? I am currently running the N/B cam.
-Scott

·
Registered
346 Posts
Dan,

Scott Cook is running an I-turbo cam. I'm not sure who else might be. Maybe he'll chime in.

Scott (Anderson), that hasn't been my experience. According to my dyno my new motor is making about 11 more horses than my motor from last year. The new motor has the same CR, 8.5:1. Here's how I figure it:

- New motor has forged pistons and rods that are heavier so I'm probably giving up a few horses.
- New motor is 50% balanced and had the balance shaft removed. This buys me a few horses.
- I'm running an electric WP so I picked up a few more horses.
- I'm running an SFI balancer that I "think" is a little heavier than stock, but a much better piece that will keep my crank and flexplate in one piece. This is likely to be taking a few horses away, but a must for high power applications.
- My gearing changed from 3.69 to 3.29 in anticipation of higher trap speeds as I was running out of gear (5900 at the traps). I don't think the new gearing had a significant effect on power to the wheels, but if anything it would have lowered it some.
- Last year I put 400.8 to the wheels, this year 411.6.
- Both dynos were pretty much flat from ~5000 to 6000+.
- I ran the same sized pulley. If anything, I forgot to add ice in the IC ice boxes this year. :eek:

Without exact numbers for each of those components it's hard to say for sure where the power came from, which is why I hedged in my last post, but I believe the cam to be adding some power.

As to why you were told the opposite, my guess is that Scott told you that the NB cam you were buying might make less power to be more conservative, as I had not dynoed yet at the time and we didn't have any data to make an assesment.

Again, because of all the variables involved it's hard to say for sure, but this is what I believe.

John

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yea, Iknew he was, I was just curious if any non-intense persons might have been running it with one of the new turbo setups that have come out lately.

thanks tho!

·
Registered
713 Posts
bumpin96monte! said:
About the S4 cam, how much does the idle have to be raised from stock so it can be driven w/o stalling, also what is the expected life of the heads, by that I mean is it greatly reduced (compared to S3 or blower/nitrous cam) at the valveseats due to the extreme springs?
this cam is not intended for the street, but if you were dead set on driving it on the street you should probably raise your RPMs about 300 RPM

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fo the info John.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will a a single roller timing chain be sufficient to handle the S4 cam?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You Sure?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ya...pretty sure, 150# valvesprings

·
Registered
347 Posts
Don't know why you would take the chance, its not that much more to upgrade to the double. Anyone ever end up getting a S3 to S4 hp comparison?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I run the single chain with the S3 N/B cam right now. I was thinking it was quite a bit of work (money) to do to go to a double roller?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much work is it to switch to a double roller? doesnt the motor have to be disasembled and be balanced 50%? Or is there a cheaper not as (right way) to do it? How do you know if the single will not hold up, has there been some failures with the single roller? I honestly dont know, so I am posting as many questions as possible to get informed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts