3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the Stage 1 INTENSE PCM, which I have, says it removes the EGR and EVAP codes... now I understand how to remove the EGR system without much trouble, my question is...

What are the benefits of removing the evap system and second how would I go about doing this? Would simply unplugging it's harness connector do the trick or??

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
If you have emissions testing there, it won't pass if you pull that stuff. 'Course, you probably already knew that. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
im also interested in this....i never heard of anyone pulling the evap system. What are the side effects of removing it....and exhactly what does it do?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
My evap purge solenoid is gone. I haven't gone as far as pulling the rest of it yet though. Though my SES light is still annoying me with P1676 all the time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you plug the return line or crimp it or what?

What exactly does the system do and why would I want it gone.... just curious :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
When your car sits the gas in the tank evaporates and would normally vent into the atmosphere. What the evap system does is hold all the evaporated gas fumes and when you drive the car it sends all those fumes back into the throttle body to be burned with your normal gas for less pollution.

Reasons for removal would be a little weight savings and it cleans up the engine compartment some because it gets rid of the evap system solenoid.

Removal instructions thanks to Ed Morad:
Pull the large vacuum line off the side of the throttle body and trace it back to the round sensor its hooked to. You can get rid of that whole section of vacuum line and that sensor, but you will need to get a vacuum cap (small rubber cap to cover the hole) for the throttle body. Then get under the driver side rear of the car, up above the driver side muffler along the side of the trunk you will see a large plastic black box with some hoses running to it. The box is held in by two 10MM bolts, remove them and pull the box down and undo the two hoses and the electrical connector. Put the hoses and electrical connector back up in there somewhere where it won't be on the exhaust and you're done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So are there any "bad" or "performance hendering" problems associated with removal of the evap? Any greater risk of a problem, like fire or built up vapor?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well there is annoying SES lights if all the evap codes aren't removed from the pcm, but no actual problems with your car. You won't pass emissions if your state or city has that.

The gas tank is still vented so you won't have any fume build up problem. The only problem I can think of is if you happen to roll/flip your car over gas could come pouring out of the disconnected evap tubes. Where as before with a functioning evap system that gas would be caught in the evap system. Honestly I don't know if the gas can get out like that or not, but I can see the possibility is the reason I mention it.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The biggest advantage to deleting this code IMO is not waiting for evap monitor to pass after doing some work on the car. Inspections are a breeze. We are all aware of the difficulty in running evap monitors when it is like 5 degrees outside:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts