3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering this for my daily driver and would like opinions from anyone who has installed it. In particular I'd like to know the feel around town and WOT. This is my main car and I take clients out in it... cannot have too much "head jerking" going on inside. Opinions, pros, cons, please.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
243 Posts
I installed the Thrasher Shift kit in my Monte Carlo SS. I set it at medium. You can definately notice the shifts but they are not neck cracking. If you have a custom pcm that raises shift firmness you will probably want to set it at the lowest setting or not install it at all because it does add even more firmness. To be honest it doesn't really improve your et's from what i've heard. It's more of a "feels good" kinda mod. It does however reduce wear on your clutches which is a positive, especially for a daily driver. Anyway it's not that difficult to install. You need torque wrenches though. Measuring in inches and feet. I purchased them at Pep Boys, used them for the install, and then returned them. :D Some of those wrenches are expensive damn it. :eek: Well whatever you decide, good luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I also had the TEP set it to medium for about a year till I got anoyed by the hard shift when I turned Perf/Shift ON. Now is set to mild and is good all around. Just MHO!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have had the INTENSE S/S Shift Pak for around 15,000 miles now. It is awesome driving around town, you barely notice it's there...take it up to 4000 RPM or so and you'll notice firmer shifts. It's great at WOT when combined with their S2 PCM.

I'd definitely buy it again if I were in the market.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why does this help with extending clutch life? What mechanically does it do? I am looking to see what technical benefit I would receive to install this?. I had a 1990 Honda accord and the tranny was going and wow I suffered some whiplash with that and do not want to return to that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We have had the Trasher shift Kit in Kathy's GTX tranmsion for 3 years now. Love it. Yes it feels a little firm, but it doesn't snap your neck..

I understand that it does help the clutches last longer because they slip less when changing gears. However, if you shift gears too hard, it causes the drive chain to streach sooner... This is what I have read... I am not a transimission expert :)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Yeah shift kits are not a tranny saver or life prolonger. While they have benifits on less clutch wear, they also have negitive effect on other parts by increasng the stress on other parts.

personally i love my Intense Shift Pak. At light throatle you barley notice it and when you get on the gas it shift very firm and WOT it shifts hard.

So when you have your clients in your car and im sure you will drive very calm and causiouly, i doubt you will or them will notice it. That is till you pass someone :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris,

The Intense has 2 settings from what I understand... do you have yours on 1 or 2?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It has a different spring setup depending on GT or GTP...but not different settings to choose from...that's the Thrasher you're thinking of I believe. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Thrasher shift kit does have 3 setting to choose from. We have ours set on Med. :D

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
GOIA said:
Chris,

The Intense has 2 settings from what I understand... do you have yours on 1 or 2?
As Brad stated, Intense dosnt have 2 settings. They have 2 variations to their Shift Pak. One is for a GTP and the other is for a GT.

So i have the GTP one :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Someplace I read that the Trasher shift kit only effects low and mid trottle shifts but not full throttle shifts. And that the Intense shift kit effects all three shift areas. Is that correct? I do see that the Intense shift kit has more springs. :confused: I have a Trasher shift kit in stalled now, but may change if there is a significant advantage to the Intense shift kit.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm under the impression that the Thrasher shift kit has a couple settings, which are a linear firmness across the RPM range. The INTENSE kit is model specific(GT/GTP) and has a firmness curve. i.e. the higher RPM you are at, the stiffer the shift will be.

Brad - Happy Thanksgiving to you too. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts