3800Pro Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT with a 3800 SC swap. I have no history on the car except the PCM which has a sticker on it saying;
1987 Fiero L32 Conversion
INTENSE Unlimited PCM
Based on 2004 Impala SS

I have sent e-mails asking for information on it to Intense's Info and Sales addresses and messaged them on facebook with no response. Are they still in business?

Is there any way to get info on what tune it has, power level, etc.?

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
John seems to be just chugging along keeping the lights on there, lately. Not sure on response times.

Sounds like they put the file from an L67 Impala in there, with any settings required for it to be happy in the Fiero (tire size ratio for transmission, etc. plus standard changes to timing tables and such).

Power output is mainly based on what upgrades it has for pulley, intake/exhaust, cam/valvetrain, etc. and if it's running happy that way (no KR, fuel trims under +/-10%, etc.).

If you plug into the OBD2 port with a tuner, it should be able to pull the file and view/edit, if you have the need or desire to do anything more.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
MegaSquirt? That's a standalone unit that is its own brain box and program, like a Holley EFI, Haltech, or FuelTech system.

3800's benefit from the re-programmable GM pcm hardware using a few cables/software packages that can do it (primarily HPTuners nowadays), which is the same thing other GM V8 and 4cyl platforms have benefitted from since the late 90's. While a few folks will spend the $1k+ to go custom on a standalone system, it's not necessary in 99% of setups, including most swaps. We have pretty well-mapped access to the spark, fuel, and other tables in the stock pcm that is needed to adjust for performance use.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
No, it's a file that gets edited by using a specific cable connected via the OBD2 port and reprograms the OEM file in-place.

Audio equipment Gadget Cable Battery charger Font

gen1 HPT (v2 is a little more compact)

Ac adapter Adapter Adapter Electrical wiring Gas

old DHP PowrTuner cable (1st 3800-specific one, sold ~2004-2007)

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
HPTuners? They're sold directly from their site, or thru all sorts of vendors for ~$299. You'll pretty much trip over them when looking on sites for tuning options on modern GM's of the past 20yrs.

I got mine last year (MPVI 2), because I was sick of tinkering to get my old DHP software to run on newer laptops (possible, just a headache).

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
You need to buy credits for whichever model of car you are trying to tune. It's kind of annoying, butts isn't terrible unless you're hey shop, then you would buy that suite.

For instance, I only bought enough credits for my 2004 Regal right now. If I want to tune my F-150 or Grand Prix GXP, I would have to buy additional credits for each of those.

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Ah, forgot to mention... Just once, to unlock your account/cable for flashing a tune on that vehicle model/group.

You can actually read/scan any OBD2 vehicle with it, though, which is nice. I helped a guy with a newer Camaro SS get it going again during a road rally, just plugging in to clear codes or something from his new Procharger build.

I actually still need to assign my 2 credits to the Regal, because I've only read the tune off of it and done some scanning on the street/track (my old tune was flashed on with the DHP years ago and is still pretty solid for this setup).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At full throttle it is hitting the rev limiter, shutting down the engine for about 2 seconds and then shifting. Is this a problem with the tune?

·
Super Moderator
885 Posts
Sounds like it... I wouldn't ever beat on a misbehaving setup, and get eyes on the tune file before attempting anything like that again. You've been posting about everything under the sun on this thing, but it's mote important to dig in and learn/adjust to get a handle on what's in there.

Intense used to put some overly aggressive setups in their files back in the day, so I don't doubt this could be some YOLO-style moon tune that attempts to squeeze every ounce of rpm and such from any setup, regardless of how the car is built.

·
Registered
1998 GTP coupe. All stock and rust free. That will change soon.
104 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts